Friday, March 5, 2010

Hawk And Robin















































































Paddled over to Bobcat Meadow...Robin flock at the Deer House, searching about the ground...
White Headed Woodpecker pair were going from Cedar to Cedar...tried for pics..ones I got all a little too far away...saw what I thought was Brown Creeper fly to a Ponderosa Trunk...reviewing tonight, I see it was Nuthatch....got one pic of Nuthatch before both Whites flew to the same Tree and did courtship calls and dance and shooed Nuthatch away....should have had the 20x along!....it was a bit of a mixed flock there at the House...some little Birds and Blue Jays (oh...earlier I got pic of Does and Fawns in the Backyard by the Path, and spent a lot of time trying to see what was high in a Cedar upsetting the Blue Jays...but no luck)....walked as far as the Cottonwood Snags along the River, and returned to the Cabin....sunny but a high clouds hazy light grey sky...warm...at lunch, I was sitting contented on the Log with coffee listening to a few Robins piping, here and there in the Woods, and caught a glimpse of movement not far from where Hawk was last night...thought it might have been Hawk, but it was a tinytiny glimpse...and I went back to nothing much at all, but got to thinking about human senses compared to Critters...we have a very acute sense of movement in the peripheral part of our vision, and the Critters I think do too...but something we might have that the Critters dont, is the ability to look at a scene that's all still, and sort out what everything is....I got about that far in my reverie, and saw Big Wings fly up to a Tree near Cedar's Tree of last evening...picked up, didn't spill the coffee, and found an angle to get pics...angles actually...got both Half Dome and Falls for backdrop....and one Piping Robin was pestering Hawk, Cedar....Cedar perched a long while, then flew off over the Rooms and Train Wreck...a flight path that went across the Falls Wall....I took a wild chance, set the dial to Tv with its 1000 shutter speed, and clicked away at a gap in the Pines... I got a flight pic of Cedar, albeit very dim and dark!....imagination pics I call these, in fact, most of them up tonight are, one has to use a little imagination to get passed the flaws in focus, exposure, and so forth...very cool to see Cedar two nights in a row at Lunch...report of the Bald Eagle flying over the Merced in the Canyon, right level with the Bus' Big Front Windows....this last week, Wednesday or so...and last night in the very middle of the night, on a foray to the back of the Cabin, I head Pygmy Owl call...very loud and a continuous tone, different than the modulated one I've heard before...the sound was about where the Blue Jays were calling at the Cedar in the Backyard....a night time Pygmy Owl pic would be exceptional!!...and will be alert tonight...first time I've head Pygmy's call for over a year, I think...maybe at Rocky Slope last Fall....see!?...there I sorted through my memories, and it's somewhat like sorting through a still landscape...hmmph...and like editing a post...finding misspelling and such...

No comments: