Thursday, March 25, 2010

Morning Walk






























Out and about early, like seven!, but was out and about...paddled back to Creek's End...pic...and around through the Woods....Redwings, Blue Jays, Robins, calling...Robins were singing the other morning...think they do that at very first light....thought I heard a hoo and a hoo, but just hopeful imagining I suspect...back up around onto the Path, I did hear one soft scree scree scree scree, from Hawk...looked all about, but no luck....put the gear up, and had Breakfast, and then a snooze until work...oh...took pic of Falls being wind tossed...cool in the morning...think it was sunny blue when I walked to work...cant recall for sure...clouds later on the lunch walk out to the Lodepole...couple Blue Birds about, and Redwings, Song Sparrow, and Black Phoebe...chased after Blue Jays scolding call....but no sighting....Blue Jays are calling to one another a lot, and it sounds like the scold call, so I'm chasing about and being disappointed!...hooey..the new laptop highlights words misspelled, but doesn't offer corrections to choose from...then when I spell it right, it's still highlighted...hmph...Hummocks make good perches...

Link of the Day (about the Bees declining...on the trip to town we passed the White Bee Boxes set beside the road, and slowed down, sos not to windshield bees...I dont know if anyone has ever done a Grinnell like transit of insects in the park....I've thought myself to put out coffee cans, and maybe acquire a butterfly net, and enlist my childhood backyard trapping skills....a big black carpenter bee did do circles around me at lunch...in truth, any study of decline in species, needs to begin with the smallest things, like insects on land, like phytoplankton in the ocean...I'll have to start having a looksee at the tour bus big windshields when they arrive, and before the drivers wash them off! )...the link:
quote
This year bees seem to be in bigger trouble than normal after a bad winter, according to an informal survey of commercial bee brokers cited in an internal USDA document. One-third of those surveyed had trouble finding enough hives to pollinate California's blossoming nut trees, which grow the bulk of the world's almonds. A more formal survey will be done in April.
unquote





















No comments: