Thursday, September 3, 2015

Seven

A  text only post, and about history, afield from fauna and flora, sort of...and grim, so dear readers, a caution to read on...

I can write, but I can't really write, like story tellers do that sell books...it's kind of like my singing...maybe not that bad!...but I on occasion think up the beginning of a story, and that's about as far as I get, and this just in my head, and I have one of these story starts in my head now, and I've been doing web searches to see if notions in it are workable...it's a time travel story...Graves wrote a time travel story, and he had a notion of time as a 'wibble wobble', and coined a couple words, analeptic and proleptic, which are memory of the past, and memory of the future...remembering the past is easy enough, but remembering the future?...

and I was wondering about those recurrent numbers in the old myths, and talked about in that book 'The Sirius Mystery'...and one of the numbers is fifty....'there are fifty states in the US' I thought, and from that thought stepped to the thought that maybe the recurrent numbers in the old myths were planted by time travelers like bread crumbs, or the piece of string Tom Sawyer uses in the Injun Joe's cave when he and Becky get lost...and looking for those two words, analeptic, prolaptic, I found a site, an author's take on Graves... an unusual find, as not many sites talk about Graves as a personal influence....and, and, I found this site just after coming away from the Ask a Mathematician Physicist site (yesterday's post), and some kind of momentum set me to writing another comment, and, like before, it got away, really really away...

read on zena...(I used this little notation for a long time...it references the old Zena tv show, which had the opening announcer say, 'battle on zena'...:)

quote from me

nice post..can’t tell how old it is…came to it wondering again about these words Graves coined, ‘analaptec’ and ‘prolaptec’, memory of past, and future…I just came from looking at a list of time travel science fiction books…one, Time Travel Times Three, think I have that title right, maybe it was Thrice Upon a Time, and in the synopsis I find that the story wasn’t about traveling physically, but rather about a machine that could send messages via small atomic particles, maybe your ‘quartinos’, back through time…or forward from the past too I imagine, though the story doesn’t use that notion…just in the news is a magnetic ‘wormhole’ experiment, which is unrelated, but I happen on the notion that communication at a great distance across space is imagined often..a staple of sci fi, along with faster than light travel, and the reach here is for a notion of communication across distant times…of course such communication would wreck havoc, the plot of the story, and in many like in the Terminator movies…seeing here, T4?, the scene where, forget the hero’s name, is listening to a tape recording by his mom…those tapes to him are a bit like his Bible…and the Bible is full of precognitions, which is the word Graves should have used for memory of the future…he liked to tweak things!…Pentecost, I learn from just the search before finding your site, means fifty, and is a holiday celebrating fifty days after Easter, the death of Christ, and commemorates the inspiration of the disciples by the Holy Ghost, and marks the beginning of the Christian Church…I was wondering about the fifty Nerieds last night, and Jason’s fifty oarsman, and was wondering why the number fifty in the old myths has such a ring to it for me, and realized, fifty reminds me of the fifty states currently in the United States…which is silly, but I used the thought to find how someone in the past might lace stories with hints of things to come, clues as it were for the future, with ‘eyes to see and ears to hear’ to pick up on…oh…I’m thinking ‘aloud’ here about a post to my blog!…Graves had a time travel book, ‘Seven Days in New Crete’ or ‘Watch the North Wind Rise’…he tweaked a few things!…hmmph…now I’m puzzling over ‘seven’!

https://nevalalee.wordpress.com/2010/12/27/intuition-and-the-white-goddess/

Well, the number seven is where I wanted to be for this post!...I'm never quite sure where I'm going when I start out a post...


The Bible Book of Genesis starts right out with the creation of the universe, and I regard it as true, and I don't know why I do, I just do...I thought up a little dialog to maybe explain this...imagine a stranger to the earth arrives, and is curious about all things, and hands me a seashell and the Bible...I hold one in one hand, and the other in the other, and he asks,
'What are these?'
And I ask him to hold the seashell to his ear, or whatever it is he hears with, and then I ask him to hold the Bible to his heart, or whatever it is that keeps him going!

That's a much shortened version of the dialog I daydreamed up...there's clearly a lot to discuss about what the Bible is, and what a seashell is!  But maybe Jeremiah makes my notion clearer...

quote

Circumcise yourselves to the Lord, and take away the foreskins of your heart, ye men of Judah and inhabitants of Jerusalem: lest my fury come forth like fire, and burn that none can quench it, because of the evil of your doings.

Jeremiah 4:4

I'd go on with my own crib commentary on that verse, but it's x rated!...so back to seven...

Whatever opinion one has of the opening words of the Bible, it does, in a way, create something right off, the Seven days were taken up to be the seven days of the week, and so was built up the entire Calendar...the ancients derived their calendars from the movements of the sun and moon and stars and planets...there are a lot of different ones, most often different because of what celestial body the calendar makers used to count...and while just thinking on this, God not only creates all things, but it can be inferred from these seven days, He began time...

and the recurrent numbers in the old myths, bread crumbs to the side, are likely related to calendars...

I happened on something years ago, thinking on the calendar, that I just found has a name:  Superior Highly Composite Number...

the number 360 is one of these numbers, and what the name means is that it has a lot of common whole numbers divided into it...

360: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, 9, 10, 12, 15, 18, 20, 24, 30, 36, 40, 45, 60, 72, 90, 120, 180, 360

I thought about the days of the year, 364, and how close it is to 360...missing form the list is seven, but if seven is divided into 360 one gets 51.42857142857143, close to the number of weeks, 52, in a year...and missing too is eleven, but if eleven is divided into 360 one gets 32.72727272727273, which is close to the days in the months, which varies...and twelve divides whole, 30 times, and there are twelve months, and corresponds to the Moon...and if you divide 360 by thirteen it's 27.69, a shorter month that I find is taken up by some astrologers with thirteen signs of the Zodiac rather than twelve...360 is of course the number of degrees in a circle, and finds expression in hours minutes seconds...360 was the counting system of the Sumerians, and was taken up it would seem by the Israelites when they were captives in Babylon...the rotation of the Earth around the sun doesn't quite fit 360 days, or 364, or 365...every four years we have to add a day and have a leap year...adding that day is called an algorithm...finally, I can picture what an algo is!...

I'm not a numerologist, and just don't like it really, and I found myself dismayed when I discovered that for each letter of the ancient Hebrew (and Greek) alphabet there is a corresponding number...so each word has a number counterpart, and some readers of the Bible see number coded messages in the words...

quote

Although there have been many attempts to codify and enumerate the commandments contained in the Torah, the traditional view is based on Maimonides' enumeration. The 613 commandments include "positive commandments", to perform an act (mitzvot aseh), and "negative commandments", to abstain from certain acts (mitzvot lo taaseh). The negative commandments number 365, which coincides with the number of days in the solar year, and the positive commandments number 248, a number ascribed to the number of bones and main organs in the human body (Babylonian Talmud, Makkot 23b-24a).

613 commandments
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page

unquote

Last night, I watched on youtube, Feynman's (the theoretical physicist) lectures, the first three, that he gave in New Zealand...in them he has a bit about the Mayans and their calendar...and explains that a calendar is a counting system connected with the stars and planets, earth, moon and sun, and just that...to attach superstitions to them doesn't help...

In the news, the Hungarians are putting up barbed wire to keep out Muslim refugees from Syria...the boats the refugees are using to leave Syria are sinking sometimes, and a child's body washed up on a beach in Turkey...



DavidDavid











No comments: