Tuesday, April 12, 2016

IJN Shimozuki

I set the Airbrush Pump on the table for pic...it sits on the floor, and is just plain cute!




These parts are so small!...don't know how to trim them without breaking them...
 


Simple way to stretch water color paper...soak it in water, and staple it to a canvas...this is inexpensive Strathmore...used hand stapler, but I have a small electric one which would make this very easy and quick...and taking staples out of the canvas a snap...


These large flat plastic storage boxes are perfect...can see everything, and doubles as extra table surface...placed on one of those pvc plastic shelves...

https://youtu.be/kE5bRjHeJAg
clip of Maya, my dog, on porch...

At the Hobby Shop, the first model I picked out was the waterline Fujimi model of the IJN, Imperial Japanese Navy, destroyer,  Shimozuki...web searches tell the tale of Shimozuki, and it was sunk by four torpedos by an American submarine...sank in like eight minutes (two!) in the middle of the night in the Pacific towards the end of WW2...

I never had an airbrush when I was a kid...used brushes for everything...so I want to start right, and airbrush the parts before assembly...

to review, this is all in an effort to just make a little work place to do watercolors, and get my hand and eyes in sync with detail work...jig saw puzzle was first step...been hesitant to take second!...working with enamel paint in an airbrush, at this tiny scale, is not easy!...one needs to be meticulous and neat...not my strongest points!...so, so, I used the alligator clip to hold the hull, and fiddled with the airbrush...mixing Testor enamel paint, thinning it...trying to see how to hold the brush and sight and such...and I made a mess to begin...third hand clip falling over and such...paint on the floor, paint on me...not from the brush, but the little paint cup for the brush...awkward to hold and spilled...took my glasses off to start, anticipating overspray, but that was light and not a problem...noise of the pump, and thinner/paint smell a bit of one though!...best I go outside to paint!...but, but some success...I painted the hull flat grey, and it seems to be drying very even, which is a surprise, as I didn't get paint on even, but it was thinned to go through the brush, and smoothed out...thinking I can use the brush for the small parts with the thinned paint next step...

this morning I just wanted to set up the brush, paint, and break down the brush, clean, and put everything away neat...this may not seem like much, but locating things and getting them all together is problematic!...was in a panic for paper towels...

little clip of Maya, my dog, from when doing the jig saw puzzle...going to get another card table for just jig saw puzzles...miss doing them!

:)

DavidDavid

No comments: