Monday, April 18, 2016

Midnight Movies: Radioactive--Lindsey Sterling, Pentatonix

A text only post, and about history, afield from fauna and flora, sort of...and grim, so dear readers, a caution to read on...

I'll put the search strings in bold, these are the beginning of a quote, and the link(s), the ulr(s), which are highlighted too, will be the quote(s) end(s)...

hmmph...I have my morning web browse routine...google facebook, news, yahoo mail, my newsfeed blogs...and on 'news' this morning there was a lament by a journalist that a watermelon being wrapped with rubber bands streamed on youtube foretells the doom of traditional journalism, news, and such...fine with me!...then another lament by an old timey rock and roller that youtube is the doom of the music industry...too many viewers listening for free on youtube...fine with me!...and in that story was put forward that some musicians on youtube are making money, lots, and doing so by marketing their music on youtube, having their own channel, being discovered there, and such...fine with me!...I have my own channel!...but it's not a commercial one...but, but, just the thought, youtube having become the penultimate meritocracy...is fine with me!

anyway, anyway, along with a link to the watermelon clip, which I didn't have the patience to watch, there was a link to the musician that had made it on her own through a youtube channel...Lindsey Sterling...a violinist...and I watched a few, which are much fun...music videos with themes from video games, comic book movies, and such...enchanted, I just let them play one after another, and a music video of the song Radioactive came up, which is by the group Pentatonix...this song and group I've heard, but having just walked up to it through Sterling's clips, I played the music video they made together at the Salton Sea over a few times, and the clip of how the they made the clip too...hmmph...a study...

for a longtime sometime has been a trip to the Salton Sea to see if I can see some Burrowing Owls, which frequent the area...the Sea is a mess, I've heard, and was chosen as appropriate backdrop for the song...

I have a small playlist of youtube music videos that I sometime go to...which I watch for free...Radioactive brought to mind 99 Red Balloons, about 15 million viewers, and Love is a Battlefield, about fifteen million viewers...viewers who likely watch for free too...Radioactive has like 150 million viewers...watching free too...oh...we all do pay though...we watch the advertisement, at least for five seconds!...and I think Nena, Pat, and Lindsey, all make some money...though 99 and Love look to be put up by a kind of piracy...I don't know!...even with no money coming from youtube,  musicians and such get their name out for their product by the pirating...I guess...can't say!

well, wait, I can say!...that site that archived and reposted my old weblog on yahoo's old geocities, peppers the weblog now with ads, banners above and below, and stuff during browse...and I don't get a penny...the ads likely don't either, as no one likely reads or happens on the old weblog...so, so, it's a non issue in my case, and a shrug...though a curio...and it's fine with me, as ads make the web work...much like ads made free tv work for decades...how the heck cable companies absconded with 'free tv through ads', making instead a subscription and ads...well, the internet providers are doing the same...how the heck they are getting away with that I don't know!...ads alone can drive the web, money for everyone, I'd say...and free viewing, and participation for everyone...hmmph...

the Radioactive music video was made very simply...a couple of the new dslr still cameras with digital video were used...I have one of those, and if I had been thereabout whenabout taking Burrowing Owl pics and clips, I could have stepped right in...my hand held video clip making skills might merit acceptance...but these musicians quickly go beyond myself, and everyone, when they sing and play, and work everything together in the recording studio...just a computer software could edit the video...but a computer can't perform like they can...or me...

oh, but a thought, someday, when I do visit Salton Sea, I'll come back with Burrowing Owl clips and sync them to Radioactive!!!

:)

DavidDavid

No comments: