Thursday, April 14, 2016

The Battle of the Porch

Sitting on a Home Depot orange bucket, small crowbar in one hand, small sledge hammer in the other, I was trying rapidly as I could to tear out the old wall board and paneling on the enclosed Porch...opening the wall had opened another hole for Maya, my dog, to get in, this one big enough, unlike the one to my right which was just big enough for her head...narrow squeeze way through studs was slowing her down...there were nails and broken up wood all over...no way I could let her make it...I had used cinder blocks up right to hold blocking piece of wood in place, but that failed...and ouch!, one block tipped over on my foot in the commotion...pushing Maya back, the second one fell on my other foot!...^%$# echoed through the old house...persevering, I managed to get the hole blocked...cleaned everything up...and put the big piece of plywood over everything, covering both holes...see pic...Maya retired to the Patio, sitting in the shade against the Cinder Block Wall...pic captions tell the tale...
I can salvage the Porch for Maya, make it like a big dog house...can never get it up to construction code specs...there are like four holes she's started both from the outside, and inside...this one she almost got out of while I had her cooped up in the Porch while Hi and Hanh removed an old trellis I wanted gone from the backyard...it was a hazard to Maya...Hi, seeing Maya's head out from the Porch, offered to build cinder block wall!...a thought...I could cut out under the windows which would still be supported while laying a wall...cinder blocks expensive...funds keeping everything back on the old house repairs...funds mostly spent on Maya of late!!


Studs are subterranean termite ant ridden...removed the moldy wall board and old insulation...plywood is like a construction fence to keep Maya at bay while I go around the porch demolishing, and eventually replacing the wall covering inside and out...studying out board and batten wall construction...

The front block holds the door open...others are all around the porch covering things like wall plugs, and Maya's escape/entry attempts...out she wants in, in she wants out...and sometimes just for the heck of it, chews on the house, the porch, me...


Maya's muddy paw print on the upper left...she looked and looked, curious to see what I work at, and knocked some pieces off, but I was able to regroup after the defenses breached...one edge piece (lower right) is somewhere in the wind...











https://youtu.be/eCd1NMletDk
Maya helping demolishing...(clip)



Day before, Maya broke though my feeding ritual defenses, and got a paw on the new jig saw puzzle...another Kincaid...Gone With The Wind...

:)

DavidDavid

No comments: