Thursday, January 8, 2009

Oak Flicker













At the Oak Grove, on the way to the Post Office, I saw the Acorn Woodpeckers being chased near the snow covered ground...not sure what was chasing them, I looked through the binocs, and saw it was Flicker...just as I got the binocs focused, Flicker flew right towards me....very cool!...and landed on the far side of an Oak just in front of me...I had time to get out the new camera, and took a few pics I really like....the snow is acting as a reflector...and the light is terrific in these Blue Sky days...a little further on, I saw an Acorn Woodpecker 'base jump' from a high Oak branch to the snow...it just fell off the branch, and at the very last, spread its wings!...another very cool!....earlier Raven had flown low right toward me too, and just over my head...sorta that kinda walk!....at the Post Office, picked up the Leki pole with the camera thread bolt top...and walked back through Cook's...nearly back at the Cabin...and taking baby steps on the ice.....the ice was just an increment tilted...and one foot went..and when I tried to brace with the other... it went...and down I went!...kinda frustrating...I seem to have a unwanted talent for slipping and sliding....part of the trouble is the new boots soles are brand new hard rubber and slick...I'd wear the traks, but on pavement they hurt my feet...and taking them off and on from patch of ice to ice is such a chore!...but I better resort to that!....report of Hawks on Posts along the Road to Merced...clip tonight of Zeke, the Redtail, on the Perch...from last year, Jan. 5....sunny cool...near 50 degrees!...but the snow frozen and crunchy...a nice walk today seeing Flicker!!

No comments: