Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Two Blue Jays

Clip is from last January 16 or so...weather was a bit desert like around then too!...paddled to the Post Office....and then back through Cook's....sat awhile on a Deer House picnic bench...hadn't seen much...a few Blue Jays...Ravens...two Grey Squirrels...some Acorn Woodpeckers...heard Downy Woodpecker...and one Flicker...finally Hawk came flying high against the Blue Sky acorss Cook's and on towards Lower Falls....picked up and followed...sky gazed...tree top gazed...but no luck...sunny blue with wispy clouds and warm...heard the Wren with the nasal call too...Teusday I think I saw a flock of Bandtails...too distant to tell...report of Bobcat on the Road between Happy Isles and Mirror Lake...and the Pileated Woodpecker pair reported over in Siberia...oh...the Two Blue Jays clip was already posted back 1/19....so I've reached that time when I figured out how to post up clips...I've been wanting to do of the ones I missed before then...still have some....but will likley stay only with current clips and pics now...the pen moves on...

2 comments:

Mike Goad said...

David - I've just recently started following your blog. Great stuff! Wonderful photos and videos!

I'm pretty sure that those Jays are not Blue Jays, though they are related, but rather Stellar's Jays. According to Wikipedia, it looks like Blue Jays don't range west of the Great Plains and Stellar's Jays don't range east of the Rockies.

I don't generally know enough to differentiate between to similar birds, but, years ago, I used to use a picture of a Stellar's Jay as part of a web site logo.

Mike (currently at home in Arkansas)
Haw Creek Out 'n About

DavidDavid said...

Yes, they're Stellar Jays...a favorite hereabouts! I should be more careful with the names, often I call the Western Blue Bird, Blue Bird, or like here the Stellar's Blue Jays, Blue Jays, or just Jays. There's another Jay at lower altitudes, Scrub Jay I think.

Thanks, Mike!

David