Sunday, January 17, 2010

Woods Hawk And Hairy Woodpecker Flight





































After Breakfast (cheerios), leaving the Cabin geared up with just the new camera and binocs, I heard Hawk back in the Woods....had thought to go back to Chapel Bridge, where I was yesterday taking flight pics of Hairy Woodpecker...but, diverted to the Woods...saw Hawk, Cedar, first perched low on a Ponderosa Snag Branch....Hawk flew over to the Cattails and perched higher...kept up...and took a seat on an old log and watched Cedar for like twenty minutes with camera at the ready...I've figured out how to set the shutter speed in the Tv dial setting...it goes up to 3000!...I was just at 1000 for Cedar because of low light, but 2000 for Hairy Woodpecker yesterday...I waitedwaited for Cedar to fly...but finally stood up, and a step at time, moved closer...I was getting a sore neck!...Cedar finally scratched hisOrher head, feather shook, and flew...I got just the one complete flight pic...and one partial...but, the pics are encouraging as the motion is frozen with the fast shutter...now I just have to get the focus right!...rain began to sprinkle while I was waiting...and later in the afternoon some drizzle...but rain has stopped this evening...wait to see if these storms live up to the hype!....oh!...there was a second Hawk calling somewhere over by the Creek the whole while...and Cedar was calling too...don't know if they were calling to one another...Cedar's call is getting stronger...oh, and the other Hawk's call was quieter!... I wish to have been in two places at once to learn who was the second Hawk!!..and wish I'd taken all the gear for clip and digi!!...oh!...the Woodpeckers like to hop and fall from Branch to Branch as much as open their wings to fly!