Monday, June 28, 2010

Path Bobcat


On the Path on the way to Breakfast, passed Blue Jay calling, and a bit further on, realized Blue Jay was scolding, looked back around and sighted Bobcat!....had the 20x with, and only got clips....Bobcat was lost to sight in the heavy Brush behind the Rooms, then came back in sight near a Doe....Bobcat crouched down, and then ran and jumped into the Bushes, and was lost to sight again, both my sight, and the Does!....at first I thought Bobcat was after Ground Squirrel, but at lunch, I talked to my neighbors, and they report the Doe behind the Cabin yesterday gave birth to a Fawn that afternoon....dont know if the Doe in the morning was Mama Doe, and if so, I'm hoping Bobcat didn't find the Fawn, but I couldn't get close to the Bushes to looksee, Bobcat disappeared into them right under a Room's Window....so a mystery, hopefully to be solved when I see Mama Doe and Fawn together....relating the Bobcat sighting at work, I was answered with reports of Bobcat prowling around outside Last Chance during Breakfast...and a remarkable report that Bobcat might have a Den in an Oak by the Creek!....sunny blueblue hot...at Lunch, I quick walked to the Cabin, listened to the Doe giving birth story, and hopped on the Bike to go look at the Den Oak...quiet...but it's a magnificent old Oak, mostly snag, with several hollows, so I'm hopeful that if I spend sometime observing earlyearly in the morning, I might see Bobcat thereabout....once on the Bike, I thought to go to Ozone Beach...Two Does were thereabout, each with a yearling Buck Fawn...pics...and Mallard Pair...pic...and the Merced is still high...oh, I hope the Fawn is okay, and not anywhere near where I saw Bobcat...and I wish I hadn't stayed so far back, I'd thought to anticipate Bobcat coming into the open, but could have done the same where Doe was standing alert, and diverted Bobcat....beyond the Doe, tourists taking pics of Doe, and all surprised to see Bobcat appear!....tourists were everywhere, going up and down stairs, in and out of rooms, walking and bicycling, all the while this drama unfolded.....riding the Bike, I realized I can cover a lot of ground in the lunch time!...and if I stay on the Bike, escape the Mosquitoes....forgot to bring it home, Bike's still 'tied' up to a Tree by Last Chance!

1 comment:

yosemite faith said...

wonderful to hear of birth of a new fawn. hope you get to see mama & fawn togther. saw a bobcat in copperopolis once - we lived in subdivision outside of village for about 25 years. i was shocked and amazed and it disappeared as suddenly as it appeared. it was early morning and only one house down from us in an undeveloped lot. get you bike back.