Monday, January 16, 2012

Snow Geese Sunset









Rolled down the hill to Town--Silver's maintenance...with time to wait, I paddled over to the Mall for haircut....Breakfast at the new Black Bear restaurant, and stop at Applegate Park to see Mac, along the way...curious to read Restaurant's history... Restaurant began in Strawberry Valley near Mt. Shasta, maybe tomorrow's destination--I'm on vacation for a week...not sure yet where to go, if anywhere....anyway...maintenance work done, left off from the Big Bookstore, retrieved Silver, and rolled out to Merced Wildlife Refuge in fading light...actually, just the right Light...I've often thought to just go to the West End of the Refuge, by the Blind, and just wait in the Afternoon with Sun at my back for Harrier...and Harrier was about as I rolled near the Blind Stop, but I lost sight...parked thereabout, and while mulling over just these thoughts, sighted Harrier in the Rear View Mirror...twisted around, and almost got the sought after pic through the passenger window!...pic up, Harrier far away, and not fast enough shutter speed, but very cool...continued rollaround, Sandhill Cranes aloft and distant, and I wondered where  Snow Geese were...a bit past Bitten Marsh, Rabbit posing just outside Burrow right below the window...first pics all blurry, I couldn't see, setting Sun in my eyes!...tried again, and I just pointed, couldn't see at all, and a lucky pic of Rabbit!!...continued, it had been a quiet rollaround, but I had two pics, Hawk and Rabbit (and earlier in Town, Cedar Waxwings and Mountain Lion (Mac))..for sometime...andand, nearing the Southeast Corner, I sighted  Snow Geese just up a bit from the Northeast Corner...Geese were foraging...and I was a bit anxious to get thereabout before the Sun set...about half a mile to go on the Gravel Road in Second Gear!...and three or four cars already thereabout in the best locations...puttered along, and finally halted short of where I'd like to have been, beside Geese, or so I thought!...took some far away pics through the window (up ahead one driver had gotten out!...hmmph), and got preoccupied with Sun in eyes and exposure, and didn't catch on that Geese were advancing on me!...I have a clip of this which is too long for blog...will try again to put it on youTube...very cool clip...Geese came right up beside Silver...watched a long while...some pics, ones up...a fine afternoon!...sunny blueblue cool breezy in Town made it cold!....at Lunch yesterday evening: sat a short while under the Ozone Cottonwoods...Raven, Acorns, Ouzel, Mallard, and Pygmy Owl call...report of Antlered Buck with Does by Swinging Bridge.,,:)...clip up is shortened edit....full version for youTube, for sometime....

No comments: