Saturday, May 3, 2008

Three Black Headed Grosbeaks





Well...it was a sad day...I got up early and made a determined effort to get clips and pics of the bird that sings my favorite morning tunes this time of Spring....they're most times up in the tree tops...but sometimes I see them down low...flying like crazy through the maze of tree branches...chasing and calling...and courting I imagine!...a lot of the birds now are doing the same...I got these distant clips and pics...and then this evening at work there was a report of three dead birds under the covered walkway...and I went to get them...and it was three Black Headed Grosbeaks...all with broken necks...they'd collided with the pavement to roof plate glass windows along the sides of the walkway...oh..it made me sad...and I made things worse thinking up little memorial poems while working...most going something like...

The Three Black Headed Grosbeaks

Oh, I'll go down to the rivers of Yosemite,
And sit disconsolate, remembering all your wild flights,
And the three unfortunate that broke their necks
Colliding with the plate glass that killed them instantly.

In the morning before sunrise they'd sang with the Dawn Chorus.

DolphinWords
DavidDavid
May 3, 2008

No comments: