Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Owls and Canada Goose
















Paddled out this morning...later than yesterday!...more on yesterday morning in a bit...this morning I went out to Bobcat Meadow...checked on Canada...same place...then checked on Owl...Owl was home...all's right!...went to the Post Office......oH!...forgot...first I went out Rocky Slope trail and Wolfie was propped against a Boulder at Camp 4 reading a paperback...we often exchange them...like mysteries..and I sat awhile in the sun there too... and we traded critter stories...eleven rattlesnakes reported once on top of North Dome...we both thought that might be an exaggeration!...but I haven't been there...yet...Mother Curry was a task master...only one day off...and if ever late..down the hill you went!...she's seen a Grey Fox in the Valley by El Cap...oh...having been all over for many years she has many reports!...I picked up to go look again at the Snow Plant...more pics..pic up is from yesterday...it's right near the Upper Falls trail head...Wolfie say the Bears will eat them, they have a kindof honey...now...wherewasI....then I went over to Canada and Owl and out to the Post Office!...picked up lunch...egg salad chips hershys and elixir...and when I got to the Backpacker Camp, I took a seat on one of the new picnic benches...no campers yet...and had lunch...a quiet walk....picked up, and a little ways along the Path saw some big wings amidst the Trees...and was able to pick out a silhouette..which proved to be Owl!...hunting in the daylight...Wolfie had just told me they do such...I shushed some bike riders...and tried to sneak up...but a Raven came along and startled Owl...looked and looked but no luck..but did get the pic and clip!...much different to sight Owl this way...and the first one I've seen this far away from where I usually see them...wonder if it was a new Owl or one that ranged from Owl Woods!...continued on over to the Pony Path and to Happy Isles...quiet...snack stand is open...had a hot dog sitting on the Boulder in the Fen... nice talk with tourists...about critters!....took the Trail from the Fen to the Parking Lot...quiet...though I saw big wings again!...caught the Shuttle and rode all the way back to Lower Falls..tired...and to the Cabin for late afternoon nap and promise to wake up for Owl...did in time!..and back out to Bobcat Meadow...clip and pic of Canada by the Indian Lily Pads...seeing this has given me an idea..a collection of Fauna with or near or on Flora...anyway...then over to check on Owl...the evening routine is to just walk by the Tree..head down and quiet..and set up by the Two Ponderosas...I got as far as the Knolls and heard a faint 'screech' ahead...in the Owl Hunting clip Owl screeched like this...so I studied the Ponderosas with the Binocs and found Owl perched...this is a cool pic and clip!...it was Mama Owl...she flew off in the middle of a still being taken..with my eyes on the camera, I didn't know which way she flew...on the Knoll already, I just turned around and sighted on the Tree..and the two Babies...clip...very cool!...picked up and back at the Meadow got another dusk clip of Canada...a kinda different day!...insomuch the only things I really took pics of were Canada and Owls!...four Owls all together!!...but the special thing was the talkabout with Wolfie...and it was special Yesterday too!...after the morning clips of Canada flying..and landing!...and the Owl pic...which I didn't know had a Baby near its tail 'till editing!...and a Shuttle ride to Curry and Breakfast...after all that in that early morning, I happened on Wolfie at Stoneman Bridge...and we were gabbing, and Tom peddled up on his bike!...so we all walkedabout talkedabout over to Le Conte...Wolfie's destination...from there I invited Tom to come along and see Owl...and we walked all that way back...all the way to CAD Beach where we could sneak around and come to the Two Ponderosas from the other far side...once there, we could see Mama Owl, but no Babies...they were hidden behind her...but it was fine morning!...to see the Critters, and walk and talk with two friends!....and I was really sleepy...but on my own, continued to Swinging Bridge to finish a Big Loop...opposite CAD Beach saw male Merganser...pic and clip...had hoped the Mergansers would be there earlier for Tom to see!...checked Creek's End...quiet..and the water has gone down a lot...and back to the Cabin..and to sleep!...woke up that afternoon...and did the Big Loop counterclockwise...which brought me back to the Two Ponderosas...and I started to set up for Owl with the big didgi...and realized I left the bracket back at the Cabin on the mini didgi!...hmmph...did a couple hand held pics...and watched Owl awhile through the Scope..Babies hidden...and decided to pickup and go see if Canada was in Bobcat Meadow...glad I did...I sat along while under the Woodpecker Tree and watched Canada...and Deer and Birds..and Tourists...and the whole evening panoply in the Meadow!...pics and clips all with the 12x....I have a lot of pics and clips from yesterday that are 'postable'...the Canada clips up just part of some really neat ones....a fine two days of walkabout and talkabouts, I'd say!...report of Bear Cub at Lower Falls this morning...and two Bears at Mirror Lake in the afternoon...it could be awhile before I see Bears again...and no Bobcat reports of late...so that could be awhile too...it's not for lack of trying, but when the tourists come they get scarcer...oh!...out in Two Top Meadow, I saw Raven chasing Hawk way up high along the Rim..this yesterday...and today I have report of Raven Chasing Hawk through the Trees thereabouts..and Hawk calling...so Hawk is about...sunny cool with puffy clouds and breezy...both days!!...oh...I had to flop on the ground to take the Snow Plant pic...and the tripod..set unsteady on the Slope..flopped!...12x lcd screen broken...the fluid in it...or howeveritworks...messed up...fortunatly the lcd view screen still works..but my mini theater that I share my clips and pics with will need to be repaired...or likely replaced..have my eye on the new 20x!!...will miss it in meantime...often it is just like the Blog in Realtime when I share the pics and clips with the 12x lcd screen!

No comments: