Friday, April 24, 2009

Sprinkles










Pic of Redwing Female Blackbird is from a couple days ago...off to side of the Boardwalk approaching the Artist's Grove....today I thought to just go to the Post Office, but a small Deer herd crossed at the Creek Bridge, and were going up the Creek's West bank...I went over by the Deer House and hoped to get a clip of them crossing the Creek...did get a distant one of them moving along the far bank, but they mosied over into the Backyard...they still might go all the way to Creek's End and cross the Merced, I thought, and I wanted to check on Owl anyway, a place where I could look across to the confluence, so I mosied over to Owl's Cottonwood...Owl glanced down as I passed the Tree...passing close unavoidable with the water high...and I set up a bit further on with the 12x...a quick pic and clip...then back the way I came, and over Chapel Bridge to Bobcat Meadow...had time to make a circut of the Meadow...clip...water is almost as high as the highest I've see...two or three more feet, and the whole Meadow might be covered...and a photog's dream pic of Halfdome Reflected in Bobcat Meadow becomes possible...I had one...in fact I think I've posted it...and thought to come back the next day for a sunrise one...but the water went right back down...high high water just lasts like a few hours...a curious thing is that the water pooled now in Bobcat Meadow is higher than the lever of the Merced...and yet there is no stream or channel of it going into the Merced...to the right of the Boardwalk...see pic..the Merced is like twenty yards away...but that water doesn't stream into it...except maybe underground...anyway...it sprinkled and was cool...and felt much better to walk about...and not many tourists about...the Cottonwood Beach...which has gotten very small!...was unoccupied....much of the walk I was getting wet from the rain...which was cool after the heat of Monday and Teusday...yesterday, as one tourist said, was a perfect weather day...a wonder I've had, is if anyone after the 1997 'flood', took note of the critters during that long period when the park was closed...brb....well...here's a bit on the hydrology...and frazzle IS spelled frazil...but I think I'll stick with frazzle...link:http://digital-desert.com/yosemite/water.html


I know from other web searches of someways to drill down into the web...a search like: yosemite bears 1935, might bring up stuff that just: yosemite bears, wouldn't...lemtrythatone...brb...well...in 1933 some bears from hereabout were translplanted to the San Berardino Mountains...one tale among many at this site...why anyone still hunts black bears is beyond....link: http://tchester.org/sgm/lists/black_bear_numbers.html


another trick is a very specific date...March 3, 1898 yosemite..brb


Those are some of Muir's magazine articles...snagged the Ouzel pic!!

No comments: