Thursday, April 30, 2009

Squirrel And Sparrow







Paddled over to check on Owl....home okay...and thought to set up on the Knoll for a quick pic and clip...and the YIs came trooping across Chapel Bridge...on the way to the Little Beach..oh...I thought and thought!...and headed them off..which was kindof tough!..the guide was pretty determined to troop ahead!...so I showed them the Cottonwood and Owl..and that quieted them down!...it's really quite a sight to see Owl up there!!...I got my pic and clip and picked up...after asking the guide to spread the word to be quiet thereabout...and was along the Path by the Woodpecker Tree and passed another troop..this time adults with a Ranger guide...passed and thought and thought...'our task is integrating people with the animals'...the guide was saying!...as if on cue...and I walked up and raised my hand...and told them about the Owl and the Babies...I'm not good at talkabout with strangers...so was a bit non pulsed(wrong word...its opposite!)...and more or less got a low key...'gee, an owl'...response..I shrugged and walked away!....continued to the Post Office...and the new scope came!...and so fast from adorama...I ordered it up from Amazon Monday late...I went back the way I came...passed the Ranger again minus their troop when I approached Chapel Bridge..'welcome to come along'...I offered...but got the 'gee..an owl' response again!...and just pointed to the general where abouts of the Cottonwood in answer to 'which tree?'....hmmphh...it is with much joy..and anxiety...that I visit Owl...and concern myself with the Owls well being...neither of which I seem able to impart to hardly anyone else!!...I paddled past Owl to the Two Ponderosas and set up..took the bracket off the minididgi...and...tried to fit it over the new scope eyepiece...which I discovered is too big for it!!..stuck...and I could see Owl really well in the new scope...its 'glass' is the best so far!....so I just handheld the 3x and took a few pics...the one above one...first pic was enhanced in Elements....picked up and headed to the Cabin...work time...and got to thinking...and remembered the Ranger from a talk in Parson's Lodge in Tuolumne....art demo by Killian...the Ranger grew up there in the little house by the Lodge!...well..maybe knowledge of the Owls whereabouts is now in good hands!...told a friend I'm of the opinion the whole Meadow thereabout should be off limits!...it was in preparation for the control burn...signs and tape...anyway anyway...Sparrow pic and clip with minididgi is from the walk near the Artist's Grove...the new scope is really really neat...and have thought to use a second tripod to mount the camera on...kinda klutzy...but maybe will do until I can order up a bracket or mount or something...in fact...I might be able to use this trick with the new camera and the short lens...that 1.8 f stop would really help in the low evening light!...actually, I'm always pleased to show critters to the tourists and 'troops'!...gave a pic of the Road Poppies to a friend at work, and they were so pleased it made me blush!...to another friend, Bobcat and Owl...pleased as well... sunny warm and blue with a breeze...wind will be a double problem with two tripods!...report tomorrow...and weather report of rain for tommorrow!.....oh...there is a lot of Owl plop under the Two Ponderosas...Owl is perching there a lot!...and I'll have to modify my approach not to startle Owl!!...Ground Squirrel clip by Lower Falls...when I was doing the Sparrow clip while on the Boardwalk..it vibrated a bit from a bicycle...or someone walking up behind me...but the vibration stopped...when the Sparrow flew off...I immediatly turned around to thank whoever had been so polite to stop and wait...and discoverd it was the Chapel Pastor on their bike...with a big smile to see my effort to film the little Sparrow!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

David, you are certainly not the only one who is taken by the beauty and mystery of owls. It is my fondest wish to see one, and i'm looking for them every time i go out. I know how rare it is to find one, and i deeply appreciate your photos and stories about the owl family :-)

DavidDavid said...

Well, Rhonda,I hope you have luck! Owls are special!