Thursday, May 26, 2016

OTI:thirteen poems and notes:5/26/16

Open To Interpretation

Seashell With Wheels

Fist bumping ants
At Banner and Harbor:
History accumulates::
Secretes automobiles
Like wheeled seashells.

What's Important

So, what's most important?
Kids, family...
Oh, not going to the moon?
You can do that too,
But if it's all you're doing,
You're screwed...

Part

I started out to do one
About the evolution of something made
Anything made
How from an idea
To a sketch
To a few words
To a working model
To scaling up
And rounding up
All the other parts
From ideas and words
Putting them all together.
A rocket to Mars
Takes a lot of parts!
Oh, this is one now!


Shin Guards

She keeps biting my ankles!
So I got me some
Baseball catchers shin guards.
Did those work?
I'm taking up baseball umpiring.

Before

Work two jobs
Before
You need to work two jobs!

Ferdinand The Bull 2

So, why didn't you marry?
Ah!  They wouldn't have me.
I'm too lazy and independent,
I mean,
I lay down in the road
Holding up traffic!

Disney Kid

I'm not an Ancient Greek,
Past times are past,
But I am a Disney kid.
Historians have no hold on me
Like the hilarity
Of Donald Duck and the Chipmunks.

Russia

This month
By googles' count
I have 196 readers in Russia...
What the hell?
I don't speak Russian.

The Evolution Revolution

I saw the Evolution Revolution
From short hair
To long hair
(Tired out with no hair),
And from handshakes
To high fives
To fist bumps, etc. etc.
I don't know what they're doing now.
(They shave everywhere!)

Escape

Leave me alone with your ship,
And I'll take it,
A la Jack Sparrow.

On The Couch

No one is reading the same thing!
Like time was the Sunday
Los Angeles Times,
Crossword puzzle to mom,
Comics to pop,
Calendar Book Reviews
And such,
To me on the couch!

Like Ichi*
(*Japanese blind samurai television hero)

I eat like Ichi,
I burp and slobber
And drool noodles,
I'm like the dogs with hands!
Eating's not my skill set.
Give me my keypad cane.

Plain Sight

Hide in plain sight?
I am in plain sight.
So why don't they shoot?
Not having seen me in the open,
I've paralyzed them with confusion!

DolphinWords

Notes:  Seashells With Wheels was going to be really long...lines started showing, dreamlike as they do, but not near anything to write down, so put off...then considered, that will all be too long, and beyond my skills!...then I tried to work up more of it with Part...'it' being a notion from observing the meticulous body work of automobiles...all the exact measures...I couldn't do that, I can't imagine how it's done!...years of draftsmanship of course, exacting blueprints, then machining to the exact details, pieces of work that all have history: invention and editorial acceptance....it's like a simple notion, idea, is passed along from hand to hand, each iteration adding what's needed to completion...and it's the archival history of what's gone before that winnows each part, makes it workably assembleble with the whole...there's a word Ogdan Nash would work...assembleable...got side tracked to Nash, seeing a side bar mention, and, some of these are Nashables!...ral! (running around laughing--every time I insert this I remember the little kid running around loose in the laundromat, opening all the dryer doors he could reach)...anyway, watching most everyday those cars stop and going at the intersection out side Denny's has impressed upon me how impressive traffic is, though it is very very hard to romanticize, poetisize, highway mundaneness!...but a simple idea, old or new, if realized, takes on all that's gone before and grows...like a seashell I thought...and the traffic stops and goes like ants in their lines passing one another, bumping one another...hence fist bump ants...fist bumps show up again in The Evolution Revolution, which is very Nashy!...RAL!!!...oh...awhile back, by accident in a heading, I typed in two colons...::...thought about that...a colon indicates what went before is like what follows, and haiku writers are famous for this...example:
The apparition of these faces in the crowd:
Petals on a wet black bough.

That's Ezra Pound's famous one, and it's titled, 'In The Metro' which is kind of a poetic cheat, to use the title to cue how to interpret a poem...I do it at times, did it here with Escape...but that's an aside...where was I...oh...copy paste...I was going to do one about copy pasting, but lost it...notion was that I see passages I see by other writers and copy paste them...and was going to apologize for going beyond 'scholarly quote' decorum, but thinking 'why should I?, it's your fault for writing so good!'...hmmph...that's almost it...but the copy paste I was thinking of was this one, which I found searching out how seashells are made, and found it a fit for an intro quote for/to  the epic/book Seashells With Wheels before it shrunk down to five lines...brb...oh, the colons...orthodoxy has it that a colon lists a couple related things, and I imagine if it's a nested list, each thing would be separated by just the two dots...but, I thought, after seeing my mistake...OTI:one poem and notes::5/5/16, or something, that if there were three things, or more, one could, being Nashy again!, use another set of dots for each thing...like :  ::  :::, which would indicate an ascending, or descending, order: assembly:: multiple:::layered::::secretions!...ral!!!...

quote

How Seashells Are Made

Francis Horne, a biologist who studies shell formation at Texas State University, offers this answer.

 Mantle tissue that is located under and in contact with the shell secretes proteins and mineral extracellularly to form the shell. Think of laying down steel (protein) and pouring concrete (mineral) over it.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/how-are-seashells-created/

unquote

That's, that's the whole notion of 'history secreting' I was after watching Banner and Harbor!...Horne even 'nashes' out 'extracellularly'!

:)

DavidDavid



No comments: