Saturday, September 1, 2018

OTI:two pics, notes:9/1/18

Open To Interpretation













#stradaeasel

Notes:  game on...on the radio...Angels and Astros in Houston...Angels got a couple runners on, Fletcher and Trout, but then made out...to bottom of 1st...it's strada easel contest time...make a plein air painting everyday for the month of September...haven't really used my paints since last September!...took a bit to dig them out...and do some needed housekeeping...now the game is on, so will have to hurry to get a painting done for the first day before midnight!...have a simple quick one to do...rolled out to the beach two evenings back...took along my Carah Faye poster to Michael's to get it framed...do not want to talk about how much it costs to frame things!...this an annoyance since my first water color class...thought is to clear out enough space in the garage to make a framing station and do them myself...'good luck with that!'...I think all I've ever wanted was like a 1000 sq ft industrial unit to work in and make things...instead, what I've been lucky to get, is a closet, a dresser, and a bunk...growing up, that's all anyone gets...housing in Yosemite provided such, with no room to turn around...old house was always full of Mom's stuff...Pop had a dresser, half a closet, and the garage, which he promptly filled up with all manner of stuff...I had my own room, which I've learned, was a point of jealousy to my Sister, who roomed with Grandma...I look up and down the street now, and it is bumper to bumper cars parked...personal space is kind of a premium thing...and if you want to take up art, or carpentry, anything where you need to sprawl out a bit, things can be problematic...Astros make out...to top of second...Angels get two runners on...I came back from the Valley to the  old house which I had been renting, and moved in with the renters...their stuff everywhere...back to my old room, I found myself...after a tussle, I managed to get everything out of most of the house...and things down to one tenant self contained in one room with some spillover storage in the garage...the third bedroom was now empty, and the living room, and, I had plans to fix up the old house, in and out...take my time bit by bit...but then a relative needed a place...lost their job...and they moved in with all their stuff...so much so now it's become a contention...stuff all over the driveway...neighbors complaining...I'm complaining...relatives can be stubborn...thinking, I guess, they have privileges, or some such...oh!...Calhoun waps a home run with two runners on...Angels 3-0...Angels make out...to bottom of 2nd...once, one solution I found for this space issue,  was to go back to school, take art classes, and use the schools studios...not that I did anything beyond the assignments, but just to paint and draw in the big studio rooms was great!...even took a ceramics class...all kinds of kilns available...would like very much to do pottery...but kilns and gas hook ups an expense and drawback...two outs...I dunno...thought to find a dry storage with launching for my sixteen foot sailboat, which is still just a dream to be in the water...but everyone pays a lot to do that, all over the country, I learn...presently the boat is surrounded by stuff on the drive...the garage full of stuff where I need space to use tools to work on the house, and the boat...as it is, now, comparatively, with former circumstances, with others and their circumstances, I have an enormous lot of space!...but, Maya my dog is so rambunctious, puttering around in the backyard is problematic...can't leave anything about...she'll chew it up...so the backyard is Maya's...my relative and tenant have taken over the house, two thirds of the garage, the driveway, even the front yard, and, I'm backed into the old corner-- my room...oh, and a little niche on the old porch that I share with the refrigerators and Maya...that's where I do my art...Angels make out...to bottom of 3rd...even in the big school studios, one was confined to a small niche...rooms crowded with students...Astros wap a lead off triple...oh, I do have the boat, and two cars parked on the drive, so kind of sprawl over that...relative parks on the front lawn sometime when the street is too full, though there is space for one more car on drive...and tenant just has a bicycle...I've gone over this before, marveling how the residents in the multimillion dollar homes in Balboa by the ocean get along...those homes were originally vacation cottages like...oh, some mansions built...but even still...lots are tiny...Astros make out...and scored a run...to top of 4th...Angels 3-1...so, so, a plein air contest has a kind of appeal!...one goes out in the great outdoors, sets up, and paints the scene...in the Valley this was problematic, as one became another something for the tourists to watch/see...took up taking pics with camera, much because of this...a better fit actually for the Valley...paints are messy...now, to find a suitable plein air site from where I am situated in Town, is kind of iffy...pretty much eight miles in any direction is solid city...I could go to the parks...thinking on that...only so much to be done with lawns, picnic benches and baseball fields...but would like to go to the foothills, or the beach...which is like a ten mile drive...thought I keep coming back to, is to take the bus each day of the contest to Laguna Beach...Laguna is kind of where plein air got going big time, and famous for it...I could drive, but gasoline costs would drain all my funds...as it is, a senor bus pass gets me there for next to nothing...two outs...other thought is to just paint the seashells I came back with from the rollout to Balboa...twenty dollars for a basket full of them...another ten for a big one...was looking for the Andeans' strombus shell...Astros made out...to top of 5th...do a shell a day...Maya would be happy watching me...that's the other thing...thought all along was to go on rollabouts with my paints and my dog...but Maya just wont be still...bounce bounce bounce....another thought is to foray out at night...night plein air is kind of cool...and lends itself to cityscapes...some romance comes on with nighttime lights and illuminations...during the day, city is just a grey rock...at night, it's like a crystal geode inside...Calhoun at second...two outs...Trout up...and, so, once having acquired a collection of presentable paintings, it becomes a thing what to do with them!...Angels make out...to bottom of 5th...by now, the mice have eaten all the ones I have stored in the garage...ones in the house forlorn in boxes...along with the photographs...photos are a proliferation....by the time one frames a photo or water color, or anything, the overhead is so ridiculous that it's not possible to market them...Simmons saves a play...Astros make out...to top of 6th...that people do, like at the sawdust festival going on in Laguna presently, sell their art, is kind of a mystery to me...I've tried to study out the marketing of art, and simply haven't a clue...same with writing...I just make things...not world shattering things...and art I buy and bring home, it ends up in boxes too...there's only so much wall space...one becomes a curator/archivest of one's own museum...and like most museums, most everything is stored in the basement...a tiny miniscule bit on display...maybe the festival is over...kind of an August thing...I like to go to the fairs and festivals, see everyone's efforts on display...it's gotten, considering all this, it's gotten even difficult to give a painting away...like as a holiday gift...thought is the recipient is then stuck with it...on their wall, in their basement!...don't want to be intrusive...123 for the Angels in the 6th...to the bottom of 6th...web's nice...it's kind of a bottomless basement...it scoops up all my pursuits and musings!...and on the big lcd tv, don't know but it is the best of all 'walls'...Altuve up...it came over me all the things I've made for the web, and, it's all too much!...and it's not like I did things all at once...just bit by bit over the years...oh, Astros wap a home run...Angels 3-2...Pena on mound for Angels...this post one hundred and three in a series...see previous...Astros make out...to top of 7th...thought to catalog it all, as much of it is still extent on line...bit ostentatious!...so, where things are is where things are!...pastels are the simplest and most colorful of the mediums...and the most difficult to present...doing pastels a good way to learn to paint...that, and black charcoal...opaque water color is simple too...but again, very hard to present...bow the paper and it will flake off...but one can go back into it, change things, like pastels and charcoal...watercolor is the toughest...no one really masters it...ink brush too...drawing with pencil simplest...the preferred method for replicating ancient seals!...reason is the fine detail pencil can do...pen and ink too...pen and ink takes calligraphy skills...ink brush also...Astros made out...to top of 8th...Calhoun up...oil painting is like color pastels...one can go back into a painting...but the messiest of all the mediums...and then there's acrylics...acrylics are alluring as they have oil paint look and durability...though only time will tell how durable...but Acrylics cant be gone back into...a feature watercolor has...Fletcher up...scratchboard is another unforgiving medium...that's the duality of art mediums!...mediums that once put down cant be changed, and those that can be gone back into, changed!...sort of like performing live, or in a studio...Trout up...baseball is unforgiving!...'only as good as your last at bat'...ground out...a hit and run play...Fletcher to second...Angels make out...to bottom of 8th...and baseball needs a big space!...becoming a professional artist, like for Disney, one acquires all the equipment and space one could want...professional photogs too...but, then you are marching to someone's drumbeat...it's very hard to do commercial fine art...most of the famous ones get a leg up by being very rich, or having patronage...lead off hit...once successful, you buy castles for space like Picasso!...Altuve up...K!...one out...two on base...Bedrosan on mound for Angels...liner out to Ward at third...two out...the contest is kind of an advertising ploy by strada easel...inktober to follow in October too...but inktober was begun as a kind of one artist's effort to just make a kind of event to help with his own skills...'come along with me on this, we'll both improve'....and strada's contest is like that too...paintings/drawings are posted to facebook, or instagram...maybe some other media I don't know of...the ones I like to see are on youtube...artists make clips of making their art...Astros with a hit tie the game up...Angels 3-3...Robles comes in to pitch...and a ball hit against the wall...Astros 5-3...the worst when a reliever comes in and with one pitch, poof!...oh, and Young drops a ball in the outfield-poof...two more runs...Astros 7-3...to top of 9th...well, I'll do the shell painting I have in mind, scan it in for this post...one out...long fly out...Ward long fly out too...Astros 7-3...game got away...watercolors do that too...


No comments: