Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Gaylor Lake Hawk









We went up to Gaylor Lake in Tuolumne...and I took all the gear...having learned the lesson of the Falcons on the Pohono Hike...and hikers on the short trail to the Lake up and over the ridge from the Ranger Station, were impressed...especially when one by one I took the pieces out of the pack for the digi scope....Hawk was perched just down a bit towards the Lake after coming over the ridge....'he's made two swoops down to the ground, after the
squirrels it looks like...' a reporter reported...a genuine article...retired from local central valley newspaper...he and my hiking friend knew a lot of Valley personalities in common...and were visiting while I..all thumbs...was trying to sight on Hawk...but Hawk was very patient...not only with me!...but everyone going down the trail!... Hawk is Red Tail, though with some features that remind me of Red Shoulder....missed the flight off the Lodgepole Branch..but got one pic of the flight...and on the hike, have two more Hawk pics..one maybe the Redtail I saw in the Meadows last Tuesday, and another maybe a Peregrine...and I saw a fourth, but couldn't identify...oh!...all this for tomorrow..with some scenic pics...Tuolumne was at it's best!....sunny hot blue in the Valley...sunny with big clouds passing over in Tuolumne...even some Lenticulars...and cool..with wind, which kept taking my hat..and now sunburned thereabout!....a short visit to Creek's End at dusk...quiet...two Mallards paddling about...with quiet quackquacks...

No comments: