Monday, August 10, 2009

Owls And Bears




Thought to sleep in, day off and all, but got up early and Shuttled over to Siberia for Breakfast....Shuttle back took the long way around, and by the Stables sighted Mama Bear and Two Cubs...Bears look like the ones on first trip to Tuolumne at Crane Flat...hopped off at the Stables, and tried to follow and relocate...but lost Bear....and found myself out and about with only the 20x...and nothing to drink or eat....so made the walk back from Mirror Lake junction...along the Horse Trail which goes along the Rocky Slope...Trail is covered with horse manure...which propagates the annoying little gnats which bedeviled me all the way back to the Village!...them and the heat too....by the time I got back to the Cabin, I was worn out...did stop for awhile at the Creek....at the Cabin, I went to sleep...woke up...got some nachos and soda from across the Road...and watched TV until things cooled off enough for a walkabout....had in mind to go to Two Top Meadow and stay there until dark....got as far as Ozone Beach and there Blue Jay was taking a bath at the River's Edge...this right where I lost the Teleconvertor....and where too is knockdown view of Half Dome...a pleasant enough spot, I thought, to just sit awhile...and across the River, the Last Chance Two Fawns showed...clip for sometime...they gave cause to sit awhile longer, and Buck came by...clip...and a raft, with five aboard, happened to get stuck between me and an Acorn Woodpecker I was didgiscoping....I dont film tourists...but this was precious, and wish I could...somewhat like two days back, when a family hopscotched one by one across Creek's End!...the Fawns left off resting when the Buck crossed the River...neat clip...for sometime too!...and while all this was going on...I'm hearing maybe Owl calling over in Owl Woods...I picked up, and debated which to do...Two Top...or Owl Woods...chose the Woods...and when I got to the Diversion Channel, Aspen and Cottonwood swooped up into a Black Oak...Calling and Snapping their beaks...tried for clip...but no luck...but did keep one in sight...clip...Owl flew to another spot...and I followed up the Channel...and saw Owl on the Snag...and went all thumbs...but got a clip...left the 20x to record while I unpacked the digiscope...when I went to remove the 20x, I saw both Owls were on Snags!....clip....the one up...then I set up the digi...keeping hope they wouldn't fly off...and got just a few seconds of clip with the waterproof....which I forgot to add to post up...not much to look at, but it shows the change in the color of Owl's feathers.... Owls flew off during the digi clip....and I followed up the Channel...took a clip of young Buck...partly to record Owl's call...even sat at Owl Log and recorded the Calls...seemed appropriate!....paddled back to the Cabin in the almost dark...and to the Calls of Owl!...very cool....sunny hot blue...report of Jam at the Road side of Two Top...maybe Bear...and report of Owl in past morning diving on Raven....Aspen and Cottonwood have grown up!!

No comments: