Saturday, August 1, 2009

Hawk And Kingfisher Calls




Shuttled over to the Village...and walked back through Bobcat Meadow....pics and clip of Ground Squirrel up a Tree resting on a branch..with Chicadee call in background...was gonna post that up too...but just put up the short clip of Hawk and Kingfisher calling....when I had gotten to Lodgepole Point, I heard Hawk's call up the Creek...and stood awhile there listening...and then heard Hawk's call by the Deer House...and loud and close...was hopeful of pic, but when I got there it was quiet..and there was a quiet row of artists in the class, some I still know!, doing sketches of Half Dome...I walked by, said hello, and went to the Road and over Creek Bridge....scanning the Tree Tops all the way...went back along the Creek towards the Cabin, now on the other side, and heard Hawk's call again...deep in the Trees where I had just been by the Deer House!...got to the Swath where there's a good view of the House, and was surprised by Kingfisher!!...got a really good look at Kingfisher flying...but no chance for pic...so now I have Hawk across the Creek, and Kingfisher maybe at Creek's End....was able to see Kingfisher's flight that far...Hawk clips and pics I have, but only one blurry pic of Kingfisher...so I went to Creek's End....and as I got close, I saw Kingfisher in the Trees above Emerald Pool...but Kingfisher was gone when I finally got there....time for work was close, and I stood on the Shingle at Creek's End...wondering now where both Hawk and Kingfisher were...and on cue I heard Hawk back up the Creek..again...and it was inevitable...I'd been trying to keep my boots dry, but now just waded into the Pool with the thought that the open sky over it might reveal Hawk...wading up to my knees, I stirred up Kingfisher, and hear both!...this is a long narration of how I got the little clip, standing in the Creek!..both calls are on it...and Kingfisher is tiny flying...but there!...left out the big critter I stirred up at the Deer House..but didn't see...Deer or Bear...was too intent on Hawk!....anywayanyway, Hawk called a couple more times, and Kingfisher too...but I had to leave off for work...at the Cabin, a young Douglas Squirrel was about...very glad to see one of the Chicarees!...overheard account of Mama Doe and Two behind the Cabin...so they're about....the pic up is of Young Cottonwoods just downstream from Chapel Bridge...been thinking there's a dearth of young Cottonwoods, but all of a sudden realized this little bunch are Cottonwoods!...they'll make a nice grove when they grow up!....sunny hot blue...the hazy blue of the Valley...though the long away fire in the Grand Canyon of the Toulumne might be making it hazy too...actaully not that far, as the Crow flies...or Raven hereabout!!...nineteen miles I think the Trail sign said...between here and there....there's a lot of young Squirrels about...mostly Ground Squirrels....oh...stopped in the Gallery for a looksee...very nice pics up...group show...pics from travel in High Country...with mules...push pin snapshots up too!...glad to see that, being a push pin show fan from art class days....http://theanseladamsgallery.blogspot.com/2009/07/big-turnout-for-first-light-reception.html

No comments: