Sunday, August 9, 2009

Little Birds
























Did laundry, cleaned house, then went back to the Creek...sat by the Pole That Measures Water Level...it's an ambitious pole, with markings higher than the '97 flood it looks like!...a shady spot...a good log to sit on...but the Tiki Temple behind is humming and smelling!...so picked up and went right down to the Creek's edge....some cobbles make a ford hereabout..and the Little Birds were perching and hopping about...now...the top one may be a first sighting for me...a Grey Warbler....but not sure....next one is a Song Sparrow..I think..then looks like Yellow Rump Warbler...and Robin and Black Headed Grosbeak.......and last it might be Tanager....Phoebe's were about...and maybe Kinglets...never know what's making the peeps high up...Acorn Woodpeckers... Blue Jays, but no pics of these...sunny hot blue...

4 comments:

Jeannette said...

What is the Tiki Temple? Yosemite in its natural glory is Cathedral enough, isn't it?

DavidDavid said...

By the Creek are some industrial pump buildings that have to do with the Valley's plumbing. Early on I posted pics of one, decorated with Fox Glove if I recall, and by design, they're made to withstand flooding, which makes them look a bit like something the Incas might make. Struck by their appearance, I mean, it's disconcerrting to see them for the first time, and also thinking of the Bear proof trash cans, which look like little Half Domes on top, I came up with the nickname, 'tiki' for recepticals having to do with recycling. Tiki Cans, Tiki Temples...Tiki Bar fans likely find this irreverant. I haven't dwelled too much on the why and wherefor of how things are hereabout, somethings just aren't in my purview. I accept that the 'necessary situation' is likely just that. But there are themes and motifs in the blog, one being the Valley's infrastructures, past, present, and impending.

David

Jeannette said...

David, thank you much for your response. I understand your approach...there is only so much we can do anything about...we people do require much infrastructure and I can totally relate to you nicknaming it. I have scrolled back here and there in your blog, but thus far I have mostly seen your wildlife posts, so I didn't pick up on the reference and worried that something akin to a tiki temple had actually been built in Yosemite...didn't sound like a good or right idea to me. Every environ needs insight and protection. I continue to enjoy your adventure documentation squeezed into an obviously full work life schedule. Thank you!

DavidDavid said...

You're welcome!