Sunday, October 4, 2009

Cooper's Hawk









Rain overnight...and off and on during the day...even a dusting of Snow on the Rims....after Breakfast, I paddled quick over to the Deer House to see if the little birds were about...and they were!...foraging along the Path's edges...will put up "Mixed Flock" post sometime soon with pics and clips..only had the 20x and weatherproof along...wished I'd taken the digi...not only for the little birds..but a new Hawk!...all of a sudden the little birds picked up...and flew as a flock into the Deer House Oaks...OH!...Hawk soon to appear!, I thought.....and Hawk came over from Bobcat Meadow in pursuit of one Little Bird...it escaped, and Hawk, after the aerial acrobatics!, perched in the Ponderosa....had camera ready from sighting on little birds in the Azaleas...and just panned up...needed the binocs to locate Hawk...short clip!...Hawk picked up and perched right over my head on a snag....badly back lit, so I backed out from the House to the Path...and only got a quick clip of Hawk soaring off pursued by some little bird...looked like they went to the Cottonwoods across the River...so I crossed Chapel Bridge, and found myself at Cottonwood Beach again!...pic...but no luck with Hawk...but very pleased to sight new Hawk!...and of course, I'm having trouble identifying, but looks to be Cooper's Hawk...hence named Cooper!...looks to be same Hawk I saw fly across the Creek...and I may have blurry pic taken on Lodgpole Point last winter...neat Hawk!....found four or five Flickers in the Dogwoods by the Deer House..busy with the seed pods...it's that time..and next two days of my weekend, I'll keep close eye on the Dogwoods in Backyard...approaching the Cabin on the Dirt Road..some more little bird clips and pics...they're all over after Rain!....flocks!.....lunch sit wasn't a sit, but a walk...was determined to find Owl....heard Owl last evening, but no luck...almost diverted by Mama Doe and Two Fawns by the Lunch Sit Log....quick pics with the new camera..then into the Woods....Blue Jays were scolding....then fell quiet, and I almost gave up, but found Owl posing, and sleeping, and now and then a quiet 'screech'...pics with new camera for sometime!...a fine outandabout day, inspite of being under the weather with cold!....next couple days I'm gonna be lazy...I need to recharge!!....cool to cold...not hands too cold cold...but cold!...with clouds moving through...and even a tiny snowflake now and then....

No comments: