Friday, October 23, 2009

Red Shoulder Hawks









Well, I got up fairly early, determined to have French Toast for Breakfast...afterward, was really sleepy, but back at the Cabin heard Hawk...geared up with the new camera and binocs.... Hawk was somewhere near again the Cattails....hurried, even ran a bit...the call loud....but once there Hawks' call was distant...'across the River', I thought....and I could hear two Hawks!...calling one to another it seemed...once at Ozone Beach, and looking across, I could see two Hawks...and even heard what might be a third...I went upstream to one...first pic up...and Hawk flew off towards Half Stump...and thereabout was surprised to see what I thought was the third Hawk...it was Blue Jay!...doing a perfect imitation!...I didn't have the sound recording 20x with...hmmph...I went back to the other Hawk, which was across the bend in the River...and far away...so I just waded in with boots and pants getting wet to get closer....was able to get sorta close...and glad to get pics of Hawk taking off from the Tree....the second pic up...worth the wet boots and pants!....I could still hear Blue Jay...and went back thataway...and in the Tree line by the Boardwalks, took Blue Jay's pic...but blurry...I was really impressed how Blue Jay could made such a real Hawk call!.....paddled through Chapel Meadow to opposite Creek's End...and waded across the River...shortcut back to the Cabin to change....threw clothes in the laundry, and took a shower to warm up...and was ready for a nap...but heard Hawk again...out in Owl Woods again....followed, and at Ozone Beach located Hawk in a tall Ponderosa...see clip...but when I got close some tourists came by and spooked Hawk...again there were two calls, and I followed the second more distant one...all the way around across Swinging Bridge and to the Ayer's View of the Falls....found Hawk and took faraway pic and clip...was setting up the digi, and Hawk flew off...wish I'd let the 20x run...would have gotten clip of Hawk flying with Falls in background!....continued again the same route as earlier through Chapel Meadow, but this time all the way to Chapel Bridge...and through Bobcat Meadow...heard Hawk once more at Sentinel Bridge...but that was last time...contnued to the Post Office...inks came...and all the little attachments for the waterproof camera...now I've got like seven of the little gizmos that snap into the four mounting holes...spent a lot time fiddling to see how they might help attach it to the scope...right now I have half a dozen rubber bands holding things together...pic of the contraption tomorrow!....a long morning of Tree to Tree with the Hawks..and Blue Jay!...sunny warm blue....saw a new Mama Doe with Two Fawns by Path behind the Rooms...Fawns kinda scrawny, and still have spots..pic and clip..saw the local Mama Doe and Two Fawns by the Brier Patch by the Cattails on the lunch walk..pic and clip....and saw CottonwoodOrAspen...and heard AspenOrCottonwood....Owl swooped in right over head...and clip of Owl flying off...dim and handheld...but always cool to get clip of Owl...especially Owl flying...oh, I'm tuckered out!...but tomorrow want to get out for more Tree to Tree...the Red Shoulders are maybe in mating season..the reason for all the calls...meanwhile, the Flickers and Robins are showing up on the Three Dogwoods...I better take both tripods tomorrow!!

No comments: