Monday, April 26, 2010

Deer Chase



Paddled out through Bobcat Meadow on the way to the Village on an errand....Hummingbird at the Apple Tree by the Woodpecker Tree...pic...thought to stop and get more pics and clips, and thought again to do that on the way back...same thought about Brown Creeper's Home in the Artist's Grove, where I thought yesterday to return and waitandwatch...but the errand needed doing...and once done, I was tired and hot and my stomach felt woosey...so Shuttled back to the Cabin for a snooze...woke up feeling better, and cooler outdoors, so returned to where I thought to be earlier!...but no Hummingbird or Brown Creeper about...sat awhile by the Brown Creeper Home...think it's their Home...and ate a snack...friend came by, and I related the history of how I acquired my cameras, and their use....it's become quite a lecture!...friend is still back in the film age...anyway...picked up, and paddled myself across Chapel Bridge...the green canoe paddler was thereabout earlier...walked out through the Meadow on the Use Path, and usually this time of year, I encounter a Pond when I nearly reach the Boardwalks...and there was hardly any water thereabout...which reminded me that last Monday it was dry thereabout...and then I saw Two Mallards glide to a landing on the other side of the Road ahead...'That's curious,' I thought....there's no Ponds there...but when I was diverted out the Boardwalk to the Road (had wanted to continue along the Merced...but photog in front..)...I heard like a Warterfall in the Forest over thataway...the Occasional Creek that comes down the left side of Sentinel is running...and when I looked across the Road, I could see water running along side the Road...and it was filling a large Pond in the Meadow thereabout, where the Mallards had gone...well, this all seemed a bit of a mystery, and I crossed the Road and followed the Creek upstream...and discovered that a Black Oak fallen over had made a debris damn and diverted the Creek from its usual channel!...oh..if I was Sherlock Holmes, I would have figured this out when I saw the Mallards!...anyway, back at the Road, I related my observation to a Park Service worker, who was pretty nonchalant about it all...butbut..Chapel Meadow is dry!...and not getting it's usual Ponds..hmmph!...anyway...continued, and sat awhile at the Broken Cottonwood in Two Top Pine Meadow...there are Mallards flying about everywhere!...with the light fading, walked back along the River to Ozone Beach...Deer thereabout...clip...wanted to continue along the River to Creek's End...but River has inundated Ozone Beach..so walked along the Path a bit, and then back through the Woods to Creek's End...River is almost up to the Trunks of the Ponderosa and Lodgepole on Lodgepole Point!...looked across the Creek from the Swath...Deer over by the Deer House...and back to the Cabin....sunnybluehot in the morning...cooler with puff clouds dark underneath in the evening....paddled out around ten tonight to Lower Falls to see if the Moonbow was showing...and it was!...best I've seen...in fact, the only one I've seen with just my eyes...which is the only way I could, as too much mist to take pics...photogs about, but not a great many...would have liked to stand on the View Bridge awhile and just watch...but was getting cold and wet...and already sleepy!...so back to the Cabin...maybe I can figure out how to do a time exposure with the waterproof...and try for a pic tomorrow!

1 comment:

Jeannette said...

I have a bare branch of ceanothus in the garden that I never prune because it is the favorite perch of a hummingbird. The silouette of this tiny visitor never fails to thrill me. Thank you for sharing your neighbor...as always.