Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Rainy Day Pileated Woodpecker





Shuttled over to the Village...just to check mail, but bought some new Summer Boots...back at the Cabin, put them on, geared up, and started out to Vernal Falls...checked Bobcat Meadow on the way..took the Shuttle from Sentinel Parking to Pines Stop....thought I sighted, well, maybe Owl in an Oak Hollow back in Stoneman Meadow...I just did this last week!...and checked again...but just fooled again by the shape of the Tree...hmmph....Mallard about...flew right towards and by me...wish I'd had had the camera out...it had been my thought!...picked up, and walked out along the Rocky Slope, and nearing the Fen, sighted Grosbeak...pic...and from same place, Pileated Woodpecker, and at the same time, Brown Furry Tail...wanted to pursue the Tail, but would lose Pileated, which was in between...an often time dilemma...content with Pileated clip....a fine hike up about two thirds of the Mule Trail, where one can see Nevada Falls, and then go down to Vernal Falls...pics and clips...heard a Bird thereabout I couldn't locate...recorded call...for sometime....visited all the view sights along the way...and was just coming away from looking over Vernal from the Railing, and kinda daydreaming about the Dark Clouds and the Blackwall of Granite looming over the Big Steps, where I was headed, going up the Granite Slope..and...down I went...taking a fall on Slippery Wet Granite happens so fast!...no injury, though I noted a bump below my elbow tonight!...Wet Granite places, like the Silver Strand, and Boulders at Bridalviel, are just treacherous for the tourists, who have no experience with trail hazards...continued down the Big Steps, just one of my favorite places in Rain and Dusk with Vernal Roaring and Misting and Windy and...it's all a marvel...I clambered down the Big Steps very carefully, but when I reached the Steps End, two young tourists, English I think, came running up from behind...paused a moment to talkabout...and then off they went...I hikebout slowly, I know my limitations!....crossed Vernal Bridge, and down the Asphalt Path, which I dislike, it's an intrusion, and hurts my knees, but, in the Gloaming, with the Dark Sky and Rain and Black Stone, it kinda fit, with its wet asphalt black sheen...hmmph....Search and Rescue gathered at Happy Isles, all wearing Green Glow Sticks...gearing up for training hike...cloudy grey sprinkles to heavy rain at dusk...a patch of blue over Nevada, but just for a moment, cool...Rainy Day scenics, pics and clips, for sometime....chilibreadbowl for dinner at Last Resort...oh...snacked, sitting on the Fir Roots by the Waterwheel, watching the Merced cascading under the Footbridge...animal crackers and hersheys...

No comments: