Saturday, October 23, 2010

Tree Top Hawk










Checked the Dogwoods in the Backyard...Robins and Flickers, but too high up, and hidden in the Branches...Robins calling, talking--sounded a bit like Sprngtime...no pics....crossed the Creek, through Bobcat Meadow as far as Sentinel Bridge, and heard Hawk, Redshoulder, somewhere far away towards A Meadow....followed call, and found myself looking at Pine Tree Tops in Day Use Parking, and dodging Cars looking for parking!...Hawk was up there, somewhere, and I finally found an angle and located Coop....pics and clips....Coop flew off towards the Village and I lost sight....picked up mail...new SD card came, and it works-hd video okay now in the newer camera....was out early, and Shuttled back to Lower Falls, and back across the Creek to the Cabin...dropped off tripod, and on way to Last Chance, sighted Robins in the Dogwoods by the Rooms...pics up...after Breakfast, a nap....cloudy along the Walls, and overhead...light rain all day off and on...at Lunch: paddled quick to the Cabin...just too dark from Clouds for hand held pics, and wanted the tripod....at the Cabin could hear Owls....hurried back on the Dirt Road, but Owls too high and hidden....sighted Sentinel flying towards the Deer House, and heard Ponderosa go there too....and located Sentinel from the Swath...pic...Owls hadn't crossed the Creek yet, and for a moment, I thought Owls would perch together, and I was fumbling with the camera for a clip...and off Owls went, calls now from almost Flicker Grove...time, and so couldn't follow that far....tourists asks us questions: "What kind of reptiles were in the Valley in 1941?" "Well, I, I guess Rattlesnakes, Lizards..." "I sat on an alligator in the Valley in 1941!!" I was incredulous, and the tourist very sweet in insisting that it was so, in spite of my doubts. "Anything hereabout is possible, I guess!" And they smiled and went to the cashiers with their dinner. And then I caught myself, back then the Zoo was maybe hereabout. I hurried over, and explained the Zoo, and the tourist was pleased to hear this, and after dinner, returned from their room with photo from 1941 of the alligator, and the tourist, a little girl then, perched on top. Very cool. I explained to everyone at her table, at her urging, about the Zoo, and how online the story of it might be in the Nature Notes. Dont know if I was convincing, but she had convinced me, and was delighted!....brb....well, the little Zoo closed in 1931 0r so but here again is link to bit about the Zoo (note reply to comment post I made!...hmmph!) Truth is, tourists have about as much chance of seeing wildlife hereabout, as tourists at the Coast of seeing underwater marine life.

1 comment:

yosemite faith said...

now this is the first i have ever heard of a zoo in yosemite!!! wow - glad you shared this story.