Friday, April 29, 2011

Bullock's Oriole









After late Breakfast, Shuttled over to the Village...paddled back along the Road by Bobcat Meadow...sat awhile near the Elm...Bullock's Oriole Pair chasing about...farfar away pics....Acorn Woodpeckers, Robins, Violet Green Swallows, Redwings, Ravens, Starlings, Flicker call, Mallard, Blue Jays, Mountain Chickadee, Juncos...sunny blueblue warm...at Lunch: sat awhile at the Ozone Cottonwoods....sometime One, or Two, or Three, Mallards flying about, Black Phoebe, Song Sparrow, Blue Jays, Starlings, Redwing, Robins, Juncos, and, First Black Grosbeak of Season...top pic up..(bottom pic, a pic from last year, a missed upload!)....Black Phoebe was about at Lunch yesterday too, flycatching from the Fallen Cottonwood...report of Bobcat by Sentinel Bridge....oh...Yellow Flowers were in the Grasses by the Elm-- American Wintercress, I think... it's been awhile since I've sighted Bullock's Oriole...posted sightings: 6/22/09, 4/30/08...but wait...first I searched old posts with 'bullock's' which brings up three posts, including this one...second search, 'oriole' brings up twelve posts.....I dont know how many sightings I didn't post about...but I dont see Orioles that often, and being scarce hereabout, and colorful, most sightings I probably posted....brb...well, I went through 2007 posts, and no Orioles....that's not to say Orioles weren't about then!, but I didn't note with pic until 4/08.....on my walks, now, I am sensitive to Bird Calls, Bird Shadows, rustlings, glimpses of movement, and I sorta know the times of day, and micro eco niches, hereabout, Birds frequent...sitting by the Elms is a good place to wait, and see Birds!...and lots of Ground Squirrels!.....wiki's bit on Bullock.....Bird names are curios, mostly the product of the nineteenth century mania for specimen collecting and competing to label everything with a latin name memoralizing one's discovery...and since most birds didn't have names until scientific curiosity attached labels, there's a real dearth of names for these lovely Birds that will fit in poem, or a song, or a story tale....on that note, here's another Fauna Song: youTube--

No comments: