Thursday, July 17, 2014

Dana Point Surf








Geared up around 4:30 am, but out the door not until 5...delayed by conversation with my tenant about riding the Bus...they've been doing it to their job for for like 16 years...tenant is always up before Dawn, cooking up meals for their son, who is getting very fat...took 43 to Victoria, thinking to catch 47 again...had in mind a long reach all the way to San Clemente...but another Bus came along, 55...not sure were it went, but wth!, hopped on, and it took me in the right direction!, cutting off a lot of time by angling on Dover to the Coast Hwy., and Route 1, which I hopped on after Breakfast at yet another Ruby's, this one in Corona Del Mar...the Bus Route 1 I was on only went as far as Dana Point, another 1 from there goes to San Clemente, I learned...for sometime...Bus Drivers have all been very helpful and friendly...remind me of the Valley Shuttle Drivers...and they dress like military sharp...good crew...thought to remain at Dana Point, though doubtful I would get a 'fisherman holding fish pic'...Breakwater fishermen don't catch much...but I paddled about the State Beach, Doheny, then out the Breakwater on its Boundry...and first bouldering few steps, I ran into young fisherman that just caught Yellow Fin Crocker...families and young people fishing from the Breakwater...and a couple layabout homeless...they literally layabout in the Breakwater Boulder crevices...lots of litter and junk about...at the State Beach I sighted a group of Snowy Egrets, which I thought almost tame, as they didn't fly up when I neared them..Egrets are usually shy...and in the Harbor I saw why...lotsandlots of Egrets, Herons, Night Herons, hang around the fishing boats, for scraps I imagine...walking back, I took note that in the Eucy and Thorn Trees, there was like a rookery for the Herons, and Egrets...cloudy cool calm clearing to sunny blue and light wind...when out on Newport Pier two days back, I took pic of the wreaths at the Life Guard Office....a young lifeguard lost their life during a rescue...I'd heard the story on news, but while on Bus Route 1 returning, an old guy surfer hung onto the pole, standing behind the driver, same as I often have when relating a story to Valley Shuttle Drivers, and told of the funeral to the driver....like 600 surfers on their boards in a circle at the Pier...canon salutes from the coast guard, representatives from police, fire, marines....the lifeguard had just hauled out a swimmer onto the back of the rescue boat, and a large swell flipped the lifeguard off the  back of the boat, and coming down he struck his head...this was the only lifeguard fatality ever in lifeguarding history hereabout...sad tale to hear....

No comments: