Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Surf Instruction







Out and about a bit late to pursue the thought to return to Huntington Beach Pier to see daybreak surfing, and when I approached Harbor and GG Blvd. I was uncertain...it was still early, and I thought, 'maybe catch a train' and crossed the street thataway, and then thought 'no, stick to first thought' and went back to Harbor 43 stop....influencing my thinking was that in checking I had mistakenly opened the bus schedule book to Route 59 instead of Route 173...59 goes to the depot, 173 to Huntington (after transfers from 56 and 43 respectively)...seeing my mistake, I thought, maybe it isn't a mistake, but a subconscious intuition...there's a word for these intuitions that come from the blue, and when I got home I had to look it up again in my book of Symbols and Signs (I had bought this book to lend support to my wow quest dream blog, which is in sometime mode presently!)...the word is 'cledon'...brb, wiki should have it....

quote

An example of cledonism occurs in the Odyssey, Book XX. Before taking vengeance on the suitors, Odysseus asks for a divine sign, and Zeus answers with a clap of thunder. This is immediately followed by words from a servant-woman, asking Zeus to "let this be the very last day that the suitors dine in the house of Odysseus."[4] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cledonism

unquote

hmmph...didn't know it was an 'ism'...

quote

Known as cledon, these  symbolic fragments of speech that seemed to answer a question or give advise were usually uttered  unwittingly by strangers, children, or passer-by.
p161
Signs and Symbols

unquote

When I happened on this word first perusing Signs and Symbols, I thought, 'oh, that's what those are', and what came to mind was an interview with Alec Guiness...he was reminiscing about a Hollywood Party he was attending and James Dean was there, and there was talk about Dean's new car, and Alec relates that it suddenly came into his head to go over to Dean, who he didn't know personally, and tell Dean not to drive his car that night...lemesee if I can find that...brb...

quote

Many at the time thought the Porsche Spyder was too high-powered for him and, indeed, days before he died Alec Guinness, the actor, had a premonition that he would die behind its wheel. Dean had bumped into Guinness at the Villa Capri, a local Hollywood hangout. He was so proud of the car that he insisted upon showing it to Guinness. Dean, a self-confessed speed freak, laughed off the suggestion. There was no way he could have known that Guinness's warning would become a chillingly reality. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/1499176/Revealed-the-truth-behind-the-crash-that-killed-James-Dean.html

unquote

there's a whole bunch of web pages with this recollection!...premonitions are one of those things I call 'curios' that I gather in...didn't think so many others had gathered this one about Dean!...and maybe that says something to my own almost daily hourly moment to moment wariness of cledons coming out of the blue....everyone does this!...and it's part of the Deerslayer posts which are in the works for sometime :)

sunnyblueblue hot...not sure what the Dory Fisherman's Fish are (Thornyfish and Black Cod ?)...I ended up at Newport Pier, the 47 Bus came along before 173 on Victoria, and I thought, I'm hungry, so hopped on envisioning Chocolate Croissant at Newport, and maybe the Wedge will have surf...surf was like one foot this Morning, so, so, didn't miss anything at Huntington, and maybe the Train tomorrowmorrow!...Oh!...my iphone has a compass...Newport Pier points 193 degrees South...and swell was coming from the southsouthwest, ssw, I think...if Pier is noon, swell was coming from 1-2 O-clock!

No comments: