Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Low Tide









Geared up around 4 am and paddled to the Harbor/GG Bustop...43 came along at 4:28...43 only goes as far as 19th Street in Costa Mesa, and I thought to get off there and walk to the Back Bay, or to the Beach...3-4 mile walks...I didn't want to sit the long while waiting for 71 at the Triangle like yesterday...but a Mexican Fisherman with his gear in one of those rolling shopping carts came aboard, and I thought, 'he may know how to get to the Piers'...and he did, and that's 47, a transfer at...well I've forgotten, but it's in my guidebook...Victoria!...that was it...or near there...and a good route as it goes right to Newport Pier, and passes near the River at Placentia Street...I can hop off there on a ride, and walk to the River...Fisherman and myself were the first ones at the Pier...and I was much taken with how far the Tide was out!!!...something to do for sure with the Moon being at its closest to the Earth...North of the Pier are Breakwaters to keep back sand erosion, and I paddled over to tide pool...lots of Pachys!!! (striped shore crabs)...a curious Starfish that seemed to be feeding upside down with its long arms...large Turret Shells were doing same it seemed...tiny shells on anemones pic up...it was still dark while I was at the Rocks pretty much...not very good pics...I find tide pools difficult to photograph too!...back at the Pier's End there must have been a Mackerel run..and another group of Vietnamese...they have a real style to how they fish and clean fish and so on...some of their wives come along and manage the buckets and cleaning...cloudy overcast cool...on return took 47 ro 43 without any waits, and back to House around 9:30...riding on the Bus is a bit like sitting in a pue at church...one contemplates while confronted with backs of heads!...but much fun to people watch, and the passing scenes outside the windows....

No comments: