Saturday, July 19, 2014

Seal Beach Pier














Seal Beach Pier is really neat!...both figuratively and literally...it's all wood, very cool, and kept very clean...I wondered if a Disney like maintenance crew comes out and washes it overnight...and leading right up to the Pier is a narrow street full of nice shops and restaurants...very Disneyesque!...one shop just sells purple clothing and accessories!...on either side of the Pier are big wide beaches...and a bit to the North is the outlet of the San Gabriel River...a second Cement River!...I can't imagine surf gets ever very big here, but there were a lot of surfers, family groups, most with long boards, and looked to be having a good time, in contrast to the set jaws and posturing at Huntington!...the San Gabriel too has a Bike Trail that looks to go all the way to the foothills of Mt. Baldy, and at the start here is a Snack Shop, a gathering spot for drop handle bicyclists...saw lots of group club riders...
I had thought when I arrived on Bus Route 60 to get off at the Alamitos Marina, but stayed on board to see where it went, and got off near Long Beach State College, and walked from there to the Pier, about four miles...stopped at Ruby's for Breakfast!...alongside the Roads, new and strange to me, was a large vacant lot...Flower pic there, and Kestrel...pics sequence from bottom to top...fisherman is removing hook from small Ray, which he tossed back...Smack! when it hit the water, far below..."That was a bit harsh!" I said with a smile...some consternation, but Ray recovered and swam off...it rained just when I reached the end of the River Bike Trail...not much, sprinkles, but brought a tear to my eye, thinking of the drought, and being worn out from walking!...and too the Bike Trail felt home-like being so much like the Santa Ana River Bike Trail...earlier, walking in strange neighborhoods, I felt a bit like on the moon...cloudy, lots of different clouds, cool, some sun and blue...I had thought to return on Route 1 and so, but at the Street with Shops, was a little park (Redcar), and Bus Route 42 waiting...42 took me all the way to Lincoln and Harbor, where I caught 43 to home...having thought of Disney, I got to pass the Kingdom with all the tourist hubbub!...a fine morning, back at 12:00 noon...pohono!...a craft fair is at Alamitos Marina every Sunday, beginning at 9...for tomorrowmorrow!

No comments: