Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Newport





Rummaged around for my watercolor paints and brushes...packed up a few things, and out by 9am....chocolate crouisant and coffee at the foot of the Pier...very nice donut shop and inexpensive...when I reached the end of the Pier, oh,,,this is Newport Pier today!...fisherman was reeling in some small Mackerel...got out the D10 quick...."no no no no pictures!" fisherman protested...I obliged, saying, "I just want the fish!" and he kindly set them across a couple buckets, and I took pic, thinking if things are slow, this might be all I get pic wise...haven't given it thought, but realized the regulars on the Pier are bedeviled by photogs and tourists with phone pics...railing crowded, but found a spot to looksee, and big school of anchovies or sardines below...further out Terns were diving, and near the Pier a Seal...see clip...Little Fish were everywhere....and two fishermen reeled in their lines....jigs they had, the little green feathers, and each had three or four fish...one fisherman's set was Mackerels...but second fisherman's was Bonito...see pic...the second fisherman  I recognized from last visit to Newport Pier...he had been on the Bus and 'first one there' that morning....he's very good, and reeled in two more sets while I was there...other fisherman were using same rigs, but kept getting Lizardfish and small Mackerel...much fun watching Seal chase Little Fish, and sometimes hooked Fish being reeled in, which was a concern...lots of lines out, lines getting tangled, one bystander getting hooked by rig...but a good time...content with the fisherman catching fish pic, I picked up...for another time the painting!...sunny bluemediterraneanblue and hot....arriving in late morning, many more beach goers about, and the shops open...looked for a beach chair, no luck, but back at home, I couldn't resist, and went to Big 5 and purchased an ocean pole with spinning reel, a crab net, a creel like I'd seen, fishing gloves, tackle box, croakies for my sunglasses, a folding chair-Big 5 emblazoned on it, and tent stakes to replace the ones missing for my big camping tent..there was more I wanted, but I need to slow down the impulse!...it's fun to catch fish, and to take pics of fishermen catching fish!...the pole was a set that came with a small tackle box and some basic tackle, but that's what more I need most...that and some study on how to use the crab net...ever since I saw them being used at Crescent City, it's been a thought to have one and bring up critters to take pics of...these nets bring up a lot of different critters...I can take the pole and chair on the Bus, they're small enough for that...it would be a bit much to gear up like the fisherman on the Bus...he has one of those walker combo chairs, and everything attached somehow..bucket pole tackle...and he's small, and fits in the Bus with everything!...happens a lot that folk try to get on bus with the fold up rolling shopping carts, and they block the aisle, and have to get off!...I could pile everything into Silver, and just drive to the Ocean, which I'll do, soon as I've finished this daily quest grind I've embarked on!...apparently when the sun comes up, and the day begins, the vagrants begin congregating at the Bus stops, and there is shouting, or shouters I'd say...one shouter was at Harbor, another at Victoria, and the worst right at the little plaza at the Pier...these shouters are demented for sure, mind broken from substances...and they shout out terrible and scary things...the one at the pier was lugging a large suitcase on wheels, and scenes from bad movies came to mind...but I'm unfamiliar with these street level goings on, and a bit of a dilletante, insomuch I can just transport myself everywhere in Silver...I say this, because most everyone else takes  the shouters in stride, with aplomb...the shouting is like x rated Charlie Sheen...one was even using the 'loser' refrain...I overheard drivers talking and saying Los Angeles busses have become a kinda nightmare...werewolf movies came to mind too...the vagrants have no where to go except the public places and public transportation...most are okay...when I get panhandled, I shoo them away...I cant see that money is going to help...I don't know what manner of charity can help...one lovely woman was a caregiver for her handicapped child on the bus...slow step by slow step she guided her daughter from the bus and along the sidewalk to their destination, both dressed very neatly modestly and decently...I pondered that word 'decently' 'decent' awhile...it's like under attack everywhere by trolls and taggers and spammers...hmmph...

No comments: