Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Surfers


















Yesterday, I rode the Train from Santa Ana Depot to San Juan Capistrano...came back by Bus...and this morning I thought to ride the Train again...Amtrac ticket I can buy at the ticket window, which I did yesterday...and MetroLink tickets are vended from machines...I couldn't figure out the machine yesterday for Metro, so took Amtrac...determined to figure out the Metrolink machines, I rode the Bus to Orange Station, and tried again, and failed!...I was close, I think, putting my ten dollar bill in the slot over and over again as the Metro Train rolled in, paused, and rolled out, in mocking mimicry of my ten dollar bill!..hmmph...no ticket...tried again to buy ticket for another train, but didn't push the time frame button, I think...this a reflective thought I had after giving up and getting back on Bus Route 56 which took me to Bus Route 29 and Huntington Beach Pier, where I thought to salvage the morning with a fisherman pic, and some pics of the US Open Surfing Contest which is now underway...there was some okay surf, but long time between wave sets, and I felt sorry for the contestants, as they had little opportunity to show their skills...contestant sets are twenty minutes long, three contestants each, and I stood at Pier Railing with the Throng, and watched two or three sets...photogs about, most professional ones on the Beach, which didn't look like the best spot...where I stood first, where no one else was really, seemed fine...this before the Lifeguard Tower with a Jumbo TV Screen...there's a lot of hype...an announcer patters aways...and the audience is a special sort, as audiences go, at least those on beach, as that's where they just like to be even if there is no contest! (a mutual appreciation audience!)...sometimes overcast sometimes sunny hot, surf wind blown, 1-2, maybe a 3...Huntington's funny, the best break is where the contest is, south side of pier, always has been, and I'm guessing the sand bottom is affected by the pier...and there's an outside break, and an inside reforming of the wave with a shore break, and the waves break easy, often too smoothed out to ride...a beach for surboards, where Newport is for bodysurfers...brb...The 38th Annual World Bodysurfing Championships...August 16th and 17th, 2014....maybe I can figure out the Trains by then!!!...I haven't much taken pics of surfers before, but I'm impressed by how photogenic surfer and wave are together!...tomorrowmorrow I'll lug the tripod along...the best waves are at daybreak, before the wind comes up, and I'm thinking the contestants will be out then on their own...brb...

quote

Hey there, this is Jonathan with the report for Tuesday afternoon.

PM Report and Short-Term Forecast for North OC: Small/easing SSW groundswell with minimal NW windswell and minimal long period SW groundswell mixing in. Most spots of the region will hang around waist high or less through the rest of the day, while a few select spots still produce occasional slightly bigger waves at best. Mostly sectiony, crumbly little lines (poor overall). Moderate westerly wind this afternoon is creating some surface texture/bump. Partly cloudy/sunny skies. We have a 1.9' low tide at 5:09pm. NOTE - SSE tropical swell from Hernan will build in late today through tonight.

http://www.surfline.com/surf-report/hb-pier-southside-southern-california_4874/

end quote

...dude, who is Hernan?...brb..

quote

BRIEF OVERVIEW: Small overlapping swells all week. The current/primary SSW groundswell will fade out into mid week, while minimal NW windswell mixes in. Tropical Cyclone Hernan will deliver a small pulse of SSE swell that peaks on Wednesday. Then a new mix of SW-SSW groundswell and NW windswell will show for Friday and the weekend.
http://www.surfline.com/surf-science/vans-us-open-of-surfing---official-forecast---forecaster-blog_112291/

end quote

well,  Hernan's swells will be best daybreak tomorrow!

No comments: