Saturday, June 11, 2016

OTI:one poem and notes:6/11/16

Open To Interpretation

Maybe Telepathy

The head banging rock song
In the donut shop
Drives me out
From coffee and a quiet thought-talk
With you.
So to Silver, my jeep, I go,
With a Snapple and a roll song,
To my quiet mobile solitary cell
From where I can thought-call.

DolphinWords

Notes:  somewhere I just heard or read that famous comment by Robert Frost that writing poems in free verse is 'like playing tennis without a net'...which is one of those quips that looked at closely falls apart...first, poems aren't a game...anyway, I'm uncertain what free verse is my own self...and thought to consider...I've been thinking a lot of Keats' poem 'To Psyche'...I'd read in a comment that while in the other odes that that one is a part of, Keats kept to a rhyme/meter scheme, in Psyche he is freer...not all the rules are obeyed for a formal rhyme and meter poem...maybe it is the first 'free verse' poem...passages in Shakespeare's play aren't structured, so maybe there too free verse...brb...well, I looked at wiki's take, and maybe earliest examples are the Psalms in the Bible...anyway, I was trying to think of a take on my own poems!...and thought 'free rhymes'...the rhymes aren't ordered...heck...Maya's barking...check to see if Possum again!...brb...don't know what, closed her up on the porch...bk...and thought to google, and surprised to find 'free rhymes' is another term for 'free verse'...I'm writing free verse...I had thought free verse didn't have meter, or rhymes...you know, verse free of any constraints...my constraint using rhyme and alliteration is to make poems musical...there's a lot of other things I'm using too, that 100 list of rules and guide lines...it's not a big deal now, so many poem form varieties are pursued, and it is like music...there are all kinds of music...as songs are to speech, poems are to prose writing...the anxiety of critics of free verse is that it is prose...you can't sing prose...maybe in an opera...if a poem 'sings' it's likely a poem!...anyway, this came up googling 'free rhyme poems'...

quote

Emily Dickinson is famous as the mother of American English free verse. This poem does not have consistent metrical patterns, musical patterns or rhyme. Rather, following the rhythm of a natural speech, it gives an artistic expression to the ideas it contains.

Come slowly, Eden
Lips unused to thee.
Bashful, sip thy jasmines,
As the fainting bee,
Reaching late his flower,
Round her chamber hums,
Counts his nectars—alights,
And is lost in balms!

Emily Dickinson

http://literarydevices.net/free-verse/

I'm finding as I write OTI, the first word of each line is often one syllable, and often a word beginning with a vowel...thought to go back through OTI and find examples, but Maybe Telepathy will do...all the lines begin with one syllable...here in Eden, just two lines begin with two syllable words, 'bashful' and 'reaching'...it's important to not just look at the end of a line for rhymes, they can be anywhere in a free rhyme poem...and there are other 'rhymes' in the phrasing and such...here Bashful and Reaching 'rhyme'...free rhyme poems have too this about them...one is not conscious of all that is going on in them...rhymes find rhymes, one thing leads to another...I've set myself the pleasant task of reading all of Dickinson's poems...there's maybe like a thousand, but most all short...often times, I want to quote one here beside one of mine, just to say, 'see, see what I'm doing, it's like this!'...I write Free Rhyme poems...no fences...

:)

DavidDavid




2 comments:

Jeannette said...

I like your poem and I totally understand your search for quiet where you can listen and hear...yes!

DavidDavid said...

Thanks, Jeannette!
See you! :)

David