Sunday, June 5, 2016

OTI:one poem and notes:6/5/16

Open To Interpretation

Tunes

They sang hymns,
And that was all,
All together
With their congregations.
Oft my passengers,
One morning I turned the key
And my rock and roll
Came loud radio blaring
From the night before.
I toned it down,
Thought,
Then turned it off.
We rode in song less silence a lot.
And where I had been taken
In suit and tie to sing their tunes,
I never offered flowers for their hair,
Or a ride to Scarborough Fair.

DolphinWords

Notes: old friend posted up a lyric from a rap song...curious, I listened to the rap song...I'd reference it, I really should, not for it's merit, but to acknowledge my friends liking for it...oh, the title is 'I Need A Doctor'...of late, I've been trying to make heads or tails of rap...even expressed this, 'I'm listening to the lyrics...', and laughingly being told I wasn't missing anything...I suppose...but I saw the shock to the system rock and roll was...and since, wave after of wave of new 'shocking' music styles have come along...I imagine even hymns at one time were profane...curiously, Emily Dickinson used the ballad and hymn forms a lot for her poems, and insomuch as she declared often independence from the Christian orthodoxy of her time, she was a bit shocking, which may explain why she wasn't published until after her death!...there's a progression...songs move from popular, to weddings, to funerals...rap has a way to go, and already dated...and what's current now, I don't know!...if I look at rap lyrics, and have the accompaniment pounding in my head, it's hard to look at my own poems, and everyone's going back to Homer, and not think them pale!...shouting and profanity and anger has that effect!...a small in the round theater was once in Town just up the road/Harbor...Melodyland...even worked there a bit changing scenery for plays...Pirates of Penzance/Mary Ann Mobley...and, and, I went to Simon and Garfunkel, Mama and Papas double bill concert thereabout...now, now I can study the history and lyrics of Scarborough Fair at wiki, and it predates even the old hymns, and has about it that pre Christian Celtic/Druid world Robert Graves goes on and on about...from reading, I have it that Graves could sing nice, often singing country tunes as he puttered...I should sing, but my voice range cracks, unless I have a cold, then I sound just like Rod Stewart...how easy it would be if I could just keep this cold!, my thought...apparently, Mick Jagger got his voice after recovering form biting his tongue playing basketball...the high water mark of it all was Stewart's Every Picture Tells A Story album...

Scarbourough Fair

Flowers in your hair

Interview with Robert Graves (he, at this time, was in the early stages of alz....very brave!...and sings a snatch of the Old Gray Mare...:)



:)

DavidDavid



No comments: