Wednesday, July 6, 2016

OTI:one poem and notes:7/6/16

Open To Interpretation

Two Hamlets

Before the audience, there is a double deck stage arrangement: on top, Shakespears' play Hamlet is being performed in pantomime, beneath, below the live stage as it were, a gathering is in discussion...

King Hamlet
(groans)
Hamlet
Oh, it's you, after all that, Old Mole!...I'd forgotten, and should have realized your very presence belied all my musings...to be or not to be...hmmmph...such nonsense...here I am, with you Father!
King Hamlet
(groans)
Hamlet
By the way, where are we?...
Yoric
Beneath the stage, you fool...
Hamlet
Oh!...
Dust comes through the floor boards, as the actors above perform...
And what might they be performing?
Ophelia
My funeral, over and over and over, six times a week, twice on Saturday...
Polonius
And mine...
Laertes
And mine...
Claudius
And mine...
Gertrude
And mine...
Rosencrantz and Guildenstern
And ours...
Hamlet
Father, what have I done!
King Hamlet
(groans)
Fuck!

to be, or not to be, continued...

DolphinWords

Notes:...taking characters from their original setting, and putting them in another story is common...Abbot and Costello Meet Frankenstein and the Wolfman,...and there was a movie of late, something something Extraordinary Men that gathered up Nemo and others, much as I have...It is what the Ancient Greek poets and playwrights did all the time...everyone knew the tales of the gods and goddesses, and they could add variations atop variations endlessly...a serious playwright could, I think, really do something with this notion of the cast of Hamlet under the stage going on about stuff, while another cast of Hamlet does the play above in pantomime...I'll keep it in mind my own self!...it's a goof, but come by reading Boris Pasternak poem about Hamlet...brb...eeshh...a lot of translations, all bad...apparently, that New York Times obit quote I quoted yesterday is taken from this poem, Hamlet by Boris Pasternak...

quote

Hamlet

The rumbling has grown quiet. I walk out on the stage.
Leaning against a door jamb,
I try to catch in a distant echo
What will happen in my lifetime.

....

http://www.sundayobserver.lk/2011/05/08/mon03.asp

quote

see link for whole poem, and discussion, one of them...a tangle!...

:)

DavidDavid

No comments: