Sunday, July 31, 2016

OTI:three poems and notes:7/31/16

Open To Interpretation

Men Of Science

Among them, (women of science too)
It happens all the time.
I could go on about what
Audubon did to Eagle.
I'm not 'the' David
Anymore than Nature is 'the' Nature.
And what Audubon did
To 'the' Eagle
Is unforgivable.
Men of Science have their article.
Purple Orb was like trying
To hide in the crevice
From approaching Crab.
As if on a theater stage,
Lights from the submersible
Shown on the deep ocean canyon bottom off Los Angeles.
And a live feed permits us all to watch--
An undersea moonscape with lovely alien in peril.
They didn't know what it was
And slurped it up
Dissected it
DNA'd it
And will take months
To compare with knowns
To see if the purple orb
Had been known before.
If not, they'll write article
Scientifically probing it,
Giving name to it.


Shrugs

Your shrugs are a terror
The first was the worst
When I brought my most
Treasured treasure
Displayed it to see
And you
Shrugged.
Recovered, I persisted,
I had others,
And in their successive order
Of measure
It was always your pleasure
To shrug.
I dwindled down to
Little or nothing
And then,
Then you brought me your
Most treasured treasure.
You showed me each page,
And I didn't look away,
I couldn't think what to say!

Black Dragon Nests

"No one has returned from Nevermore
So it is only rumor what goes on there." said Melville.
Ishmael and the crew gathered about and listened.
"Having been to the Southern Reaches, I have a notion,
From the tales of the adventurers thereabout.
One has it the Southern Black Dragons take their captives to their nests,
And feed their young.
Another, they make prisoners of them, and trade them for treasure,
But not with Humankind,
They trade only among themselves. 
You see, Dragons build nests, each mated pair its own. 
The nests are elaborate affairs, meticulously constructed,
And interleaved between
Each twig and branch and log
Gathered from the driftwood along Nevermore shores,
They carefully set their stolen treasures,
Like jewels in their settings,
For all the other Dragons to admire and see. 
These nests are as tall as a mast,
And having been passed down from generation to generation,
Many are older than Humankind. 
Before Humankind, for their nests the Dragons gathered
Seashells, and pretty stones,
Baubles and geegaws from the natural world. 
But then,
Flotsam and jetsam from Humankind began to
Wash up on the shores of Nevermore,
And too on occasion, castaways from ship wrecks. 
The Dragons were much curious. 
Having found these new treasures, and wanting more, they began exploring.
And from then on we all know about Dragons,
As no Humankind Town is without its tales of Black Dragons."

DolphinWords

Notes:...fractal fabric...my own term I've used before in posts...brb...

quote

In physical cosmology, fractal cosmology is a set of minority cosmological theories which state .... share the same direction in time is an essential part of the 'recipe.' Both approaches suggest that the fabric of space itself is fractal, however.

unquote

That is google's lead in to this wiki page about fractals, Fractal Cosmology
...got to that wading through all the fabrics one can buy decorated with fractal designs...brb...thought to try another search: fractal poetry...and got diverted...

quote

Fulton first proposed her ideas for a new poetics based on the concepts of fractals and emergent patterns in her 1986 essay, "Of Formal, Free, and Fractal Verse: Singing the Body Eclectic,"[52] in which she uses the term "fractal" to suggest "a way to think about the hidden structures of free verse."[1] Tigerlily states that Fulton “coined the phrase ‘fractal poetry’ as a method of revisioning the value of both formal and free verse, calling the ‘poetry of irregular form fractal verse.’”

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alice_Fulton

quote

...I need to dig out my old Sea Star poem, written around 1977, so I can reference it whenever I go on about Fractal Fabric...a poet's poems are 'all of a piece'...like a fabric unique...and yet similar to other poets' poems...up there in the quote,  my 'free rhyme poems' look to be named 'irregular form fractal verse'...hmmph...anyway, where was I?...Notes: Men of Science...reference is the current science news story of the Purple Orb...the word 'the' is an article, I think, grammatically speaking, and I'm punning on that...formal personal nouns aren't preceded by 'the', and the names of animals and plants aren't regarded as personal nouns, so, get preceded by 'the'...I think I have that right...so, anyway, there is a diminishing aspect to using 'the' in the case of names...consider, the tiger, as opposed to Tiger!...Tyger, Tyger, burning bright!...early on in Tree In The Door Fauna And Flora, I started dropping 'the' and capitalizing animals' names, along with giving some of them personal names...a foible...unforgiveable to some!...Shrugs...some of the same sentiments in earlier OTI poems, Shorts, 70s, and such...a refrain...Black Dragon Nests...reference how Bower Birds make their Bowers (I thought it was nests they decorated, but instead the bowers)...

:)

DavidDavid

No comments: