Friday, September 18, 2009

Furiously Fishing




Mergansers clip from Monday...Pin too....out and about before sunup...took all the gear, with the thought to make a side trip to Los Banos and the Wildlife Sanctuary after going to AAA with the Bronco...hmmph...after a tentative drive down the hill, the Bronco just quit in the Middle of Merced...lucky actually...maybe the gas gauge doesn't work...had half a tank..maybe it ran out of gas...whatever...it wouldn't start again...and lucky I was right at the little Zoo's parking lot when it stopped running...I coasted in...and pushed it into a parking spot...it was still early...but I paddled over to a big grocery store open, and found a gas can...but putting gas in the tank didn't work...so, I gathered the gear, and paddled over to AAA office....thinking somehow there would be a tow truck thereabout!...and of course there isn't...called the national number which hooked up to local..and first a service truck with more gas came...oh!...I had to race to get back to the Zoo, and luckily a voice from car leaving a lot said as I walked by, 'Where are you going, David?"...another bit of luck!...friend from the Valley took me over to the Zoo...just in time...service driver poured more gas in, but nothing...while waiting for tow truck, I went in the Zoo store and called work to tell them I wouldn't be able to come in....that done, it was off to the Ford dealer's garage...hmmph...this I've done a lot in past lives!...'we'll give you a call'....I was rght back in the middle of the car lots, right back where I was Teusday!!...and on foot with all the gear!!....felt out of place looking...but no one took notice!...I had like four hours until the Bus to the Valley, and so shopped...remembered to get the 10/32 bolts for the digi bracket in the big hardware store..needed to replace the lost ones...new ones are nice, with knobs!...that done, I paddled back to AAA...paid registration, insurance, and membership....'it needs to be smogged'....many times I've gone through that!...well...it's in the right place at the garage...accomplished that in a roundabout way!!...but if it needs big expensive repairs, it's to the glue factory....I've always had a lot of affection for my cars, especially after they go through travails...and so gather lore....but I thought often today to avoid them all together forever and ever!!!!...sunny and blue and broiling....the people in Merced are great...and on the Bus ride back, I was reminded how much I like the Bus rides back!!...and M. hopped on the Bus at Amtrac..and we had the usual ramble..though soto voice so as not to befuddle the other passengers!...they took no notice....'an unlocked door doesn't need a key'...'there are no paths'....I get a little befuddled my ownself...but threw in the origin of 'looking a gift horse in the mouth'....with the days travails as comment on that!!...but was one upped with tale of rental car travails...and two hours less sleep than I had!!!...but M. caught up on the Bus...snoozing....I window gazed the whole ride...even in the dark...looking for Bears...the Bus hits bats!...a fine after image: having a soda at the Zoo...with all the gear...and watching the Foxes....a glimpse from Lion....

No comments: