Sunday, September 20, 2009

Pileated Woodpecker And Owl






Paddled back to the Creek, and as soon as I got there, sighted two Pileated Woodpeckers....dont know where one went, but the second I followed about for the next two hours!....Pileated didn't go far, back and forth across the Creek...from the Swath to the Deer House...and downstream to the Great Turf and the Pond...following from Tree to Tree, I was getting kinda tired!...so had a seat in the shade at Zeke's Perch...and waited...hoping Pileated would perch in the Leaning Cedars at Creek's End...almost happened...in the Cedars just across the Creek thereabout I got last pic...got a lot of pics and clips...but most like one posted..distant. ..and branches...when I got back to the Cabin, I was taking clothes out of washer at the laundry room, and heard Pileated again!...got the camera and some more pics....and if that wasn't enough, at the lunch walk, I heard Pileated behind the Rooms, and would have gotten pics, but was diverted by Owl!....I heard Owl over by the Cattails....I had just checked the Ponderosa...but no Owl, I thought...but AspenOrCottonwood came swooping from the Cattails to the Ponderosa, and tried to perch, but the spot was occupied by CottonwoodOrAspen!!....they bumpedbumped wings, and AspenOrCottonwood flew back to the Cattails....I hadn't seen Owl in the Ponderosa...but now I could..I took a seat in the grasses, and took pics and clips the whole half hour!!...AspenOrCottonwood moved about in the Woods..but CottonwoodOrAspen stayed put on the Third Branch of the Ponderosa...both calling to one another...very cool...sunny hot but overcast a bit...and I think this is why there were lots of birds about...White Headed Woodpecker clips, and Blue Jay clips, for sometime...Creeper pic too!...report of Redtail Hawk at Pothole Dome...report of AspenAndCottonwood calling in the morning before sunrise..this at the Train Wreck....so close to getting pic of both Owls together!...and hopeful the Piliated Woodpeckers will make their home in the Backyard Woods!!...oh!...and heard Hawk while at Creek's End...somewhere over in Chapel Meadow...but it was time so picked up....maybe tomorrow I can catch up with Hawk!!...oh!!..report from Creek's End in the Yahoo birder group (see link to blog page on mast)....mixed flock report with all the little ones identified...which is beyond for me!!...tomorrow I'll try to be out thereabout before sunrise...maybe see some of the little birds...if not diverted by Owls...or Hawk!...did see tiny yellow flock one by one swoop into the Fig Tree...was ready to pursue them, but that's when I saw Pileated!!....think they were Audobon Warblers...

No comments: