Monday, August 14, 2017

OTI:one poem and notes:8/14/17

Open To Interpretation
 
White Elephant

What will be...Will you be a Hindu next?
What was...Or were you a Hindu before?
What is...Maybe you have nothing for text.
What can be...I am nothing wanting more.

I must find something in common for us!
No one says it is likely we can be.
I'll try being outspoken garrulous,
"Do you want to be a Hindu with me?"

"We can reincarnate right now and here;
I can be your flying white elephant,
You fast asleep on this dream boat bier--"
So would have my evangelical cant.

Is it too much to ask of tomorrow
To offer only what I can borrow?

DolphinWords

Notes:...my dog's name, Maya, came up in conversation...Maya is named after one of the dogs in movieEightBelowZero2006...and too, for Maya, the dream notion from some eastern religion...have never been sure...notion is 'life is but a dream', 'we are the stuff dreams are made upon', 'am I dreaming I'm seeing a butterfly, or is the butterfly dreaming of seeing me'...I think I have that wrong...brb...

quote

Now I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly, dreaming I am a man.

https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Zhuangzi

unquote

about right...so, so, I searched 'Maya dream' and re-acquainted myself with Maya, the Hindu goddess...brb...

quote

Who is depicted here? This relief scene from around 100 to 300 CE depicts the dream of Maya, the mother of the historical Buddha. Queen Maya is asleep in her palace under a full moon. An attendant stands guard outside. In her dream, a white elephant enters her side. This is a miraculous conception that results in the birth of the future Buddha.

http://education.asianart.org/explore-resources/artwork/conception-buddha-be-queen-maya%E2%80%99s-dream-100%E2%80%93300

unquote

hmmph...just caught myself...I conflated Buddhism with Hinduism with regard to Maya and the White Elephant...which is actually kind of cool!...anyway, I was curious if the term 'white elephant' came from this iconography...and it may have...a 'white elephant' is a gift given to someone in spite...the spite being that the gift's upkeep is beyond the resources of the recipient...and they're stuck with the expense...the term has drifted to mean any kind of bric a brac hanging around the house gathering dust...hence, white elephant sales where folk exchange their white elephants!...don't know but I have a house gathering dust, with the upkeep driving me to distraction!...in India, someone would literally give someone a white elephant, held sacred, and so requiring the devotion and up keep sacred things require...with Maya my dog, I may be off to see the eclipse...her rough house play with me is still problematic, but of late I've been giving her baths, and while once I have her all soaped up she's okay, when I first try to wet her down with the garden house hooked to the kitchen faucet, and so warm water, she goes nuts, and tries desperately to get away...I have her cornered in a little pen I've made next to the back porch between the porch, the house wall, and fence...these three side I can enclose with a little gate Hi helped me make...it took me awhile to think of making this little pen...simple enough now that I see it, but I was really stuck how to give Maya baths, being how she's so strong, and rambunctious, and smart...she catches on right away, and if she doesn't want to do something, like getting in the jeep, she wont...and I'm stuck...so after a few baths now, she's wise to what I'm about, and on seeing the garden hose in place, water flowing, she gives distance, and stubbornly wont come anywhere near the pen--she holds up inside the porch!...try as I might, baloney and hot dogs wont even lure her out...though after a long while, she caves to this...but noting her avoidance of the hose, a wonder came...and I bought a couple of those little water spray bottles for indoor plants...so now, when she begins to roughhouse, I have the spray bottle handy...and hardly a squirt is necessary, as after a few she's caught on, and coupled with saying 'No' maybe it will imprint, and she'll leave off all that fuss...I've heard of using like a commercial pepper spray for this trick, but the water works fine...just the thought of being squirted looks to be becoming a deterrent when I point the bottle...so, so...maybe I can manage a long trip with just Maya and me!...and another idea came...I thought up to leave her at a boarding kennel...looked about for these, and most of them offer training too...I've been reluctant to hire a trainer, because of the expense, and I've never understood how paying a trainer to come to my house, or work one on one with Maya at like PetsMart, would accomplish anything I couldn't do myself...training is very labor/time intensive, and most I could see a trainer doing in an hour or so now and then would be demonstrating...anyway, thought is to board Maya for a few days in the Fall, and go to Tuolumme for a backpack excursion...I miss that...so much!

:)

DavidDavid


 

No comments: