Tuesday, August 8, 2017

OTI:one poem and notes:8/8/17

Open To Interpretation
 
Sparrow
 
Oh pity the angel assigned to me
Taken away from cloud splashed blue heaven
To flutter about this strip mall laundry
Looking for somehow someone to leaven.

The clothes drying, so some things must be done,
After waiting some I leave still with you
Wondering what's next for our earthly fun.
Surely I gave you pause to continue.

Oh, Youth knows only Beauty's friendship,
Knights in battle dress have swords and shields,
And I have constantly my Town's kinship;
Do angels prefer Elysian fields?

How many sparrows have you sadly found,
Fallen, helpless to leave this leaden ground?

DolphinWorlds

Note: as it happens recently, four...a little personal memorial to my failed cat wounded sparrows' rescues...and the while I've been meaning to study out the 'fall of a sparrow' Bible tale for reference, and find it a reference to reference a dialog piece by Shakespeare's Hamlet...first Hamlet...this spoken just before the last scene...brb...

quote

HORATIO
If your mind dislike any thing, obey it: I will
forestall their repair hither, and say you are not
fit.
HAMLET
Not a whit, we defy augury: there's a special
providence in the fall of a sparrow. If it be now,
'tis not to come; if it be not to come, it will be
now; if it be not now, yet it will come: the
readiness is all: since no man has aught of what he
leaves, what is't to leave betimes?

unquote

There must be a name for Hamlet's, and Shakespeare's circuitous thinking...brb...well, Hamlet with Horatio is like Jesus with his disciples...he speaks in riddles...as do passages in the Bible...the fall of a sparrow is from Matthew 10:29...brb...

quote

Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? and one of them shall not fall on the ground without your Father.

unquote

The sense of that is God cares for everyone, and Hamlet takes that and plays with it...myself, I am unschooled in Elizabethan obtuseness...but apparently the contemporary audience could follow right along...and it may well be I shy away from church as I can't follow that either!...and here I am attempting my own obtuse sonnets...hmmph...oh...what this is came out of:...Spenser linked his sonnet sequence to the Book of Common Prayer, and I was searching to see what Shakespeare knew of Spenser, and found a blogger that thinks Shakespeare is linking his sonnets to the Book of Psalms...there are like 150 Psalms, and Shakespeare has 154 sonnets in his sequence...that  link is probably a reach, but looking about, a lot of scholars have found things from Psalms picked up in the Sonnets...a curio...another curio is the Psalms themselves...reading wiki's take, I was impressed how they resemble a Book of Common Prayer that has come apart over a long time and tumultuous history...one I looked at, Psalm 90, has about it the same progression in thinking as a Petrarchan sonnet...it's often times noted sonnets and Psalms are related...and the Psalms were set to music, some of the notation still extant, but no one is sure what notes are represented...that's been lost...a suspicion is the Psalms are like the Vedas...

quote

The Rig Veda resembles a hymnal more than a Bible. If pressed to compare the Rig Veda to Christian scripture, it would most closely parallel the Psalms,


http://apologeticspress.org/apcontent.aspx?category=8&article=1410

unquote

There's a bunch of sites that come to that, as too I came to sites comparing Shakespeare's Sonnet 18 with Spenser's Sonnet 75, as I did in yesterday's post...somewhere I imagine a Psalm that resembles those too...brb...

quote

 the correspondences run through Sonnet 75, which falls on April 7, the Sunday after Easter.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amoretti

unquote

and that would be April 7, 1594...brb...oh, I got diverted by a fellow named Southwell, who came to one of those hanged drawn and quartered ends seen in the movies about Queen Elizabeth...he was a Catholic Jesuit, something not to be at the time in England...and he wrote up some things that are said to have influenced Shakespeare...couldn't find much on that...but looking at Hamlet's bit, I can kind of hear Southwell's lament!...he really went through hell...

:)

DavidDavid


No comments: