Thursday, August 24, 2017

OTI:one poem and notes:8/23/17

Open To Interpretation
 
Sisters

Noted my absence from your many lands
As was I a shadow of a shadow:
Gathered wind vane terns rest on the shore sands;
Flown away over a rolling wave's row.

Did I set down the poisoned jeweled cup,
Or without music to gather my steps
Reasonably refrain from climbing up
Their Jacob's Ladder to this heaven's debts?

Beyond that fence were Babylon's forked tongues
And my kin and I knew but only one
And over top back down those fearful rungs
Reached an interrogated finished run.

Chained, new clothed, shy, demur foreign sisters,
Hand in hand, questioned, translate my old fears.

DolphinWords

Notes: rolled over to the Ugly Mug for the Wednesday Open Mic 8pm...banner out front says just that...bit early, and browsed the restaurants, all doing good business...old Town Orange much different than Old Town Garden Grove...well, it's bigger for one thing...another is nearby Chapman College and upscale neighborhoods...found a Mexican food place much like the one near the echoplex...forget what boulevard nearby...sunset?...and finally satisfied my chile relano thing...and enough to take home for tomorrow...the venue is just messed up from the seating, along with the low ceiling in an old house...in one room are comfortable seats, even a couch, and the regulars glom on to them...every bar has regulars!...and newbs get to sit in the folding chairs in a connecting room...whole thing like a fat L...upside down...and reversed...the stage at the L's elbow...featured read was a sort of duet doing sardonic horoscopes...sort of like: Ares: doomed to listen to sardonic horoscopes...reminded me of my log line post...anyway, the gathered were appreciative and smiled and laughed...and I was lost...it wasn't that I wasn't amused, it was I wasn't that amused...the fellow has a blog where he does these...brb...link......that's the performance announcement....let me see if I can find the blog...brb...well, for a venue that wants to market...banner, 3 dollar admission, hat passed for featured performer donation...it doesn't have a web marketable page!...last time, the featured performer, a guitarist/singer, passed out business cards...the two performers likely have things on the web...my searches turned up nil...hmmph...a project to sort out how poetry venues manage themselves...they need to defend themselves, as some readers are so over the top with profanities, that the venue providers turn the readings off...bad for business...they can also be co-opted by trolls, just like sites on the web...in fact, readings were a precursor of what is now called 'social media', and had all the self same dilemmas...along with going tone deaf to the point I cant fathom live Shakespeare,  my sense of humor seems to be on a different plain!...I'll have to look about for local comedy clubs...I left after the featured readers...too sleepy to stay for the open mic readings...

:)

DavidDavid

No comments: