Monday, December 24, 2007

Xmas Eve Hawks







The leaves on the surface are gone, and Duck Harbor is ice free...first pic of a late walkabout...started out about noon...but the Redtail Hawk(it's young Red Shouldered Hawk...an update1/24/08) at Chapel Bridge made up for my sleepiness....while taking these pics I talked with a couple tourists who were married in the Chapel and now live in Japan..in the country where they see Eagles...that seems so far away!...Hawk posed for everyone walking and sliding a bit on the bridge...it flew tree to tree towards the Chapel and I followed..then Hawk went across the meadow to the tree line by the Merced...I walked along the roadside path...my eyes on the trees but my thoughts on if Coop would be in Cooper's Meadow...I got to the plastic boardwalks and went over to the tree line...and forgoodness sake there Coop was!...in first clip Coop flys a short wayto another tree...so got a nice flight clip...there's a technique to getting closer to Hawk!...take what you can at first...clip then pic...and then if Hawk is going to pose...advance..clip then pic...doing this I managed to get Coop framed with the Falls in the background...earlier I had gone up on Chapel Bridge to the Redtail Hawk framed the same way...sooo...in ONE day I got pics and clips of two Hawks with the Falls in the backgorund!...and a beautiful blue day it's been!....the batteries gave out..no back up...but the very last pic I took of Coop is a wonder...the Aspens behind blurred but had orange lichen on them...so this gives color...and harmonize with Coops reddish chest feathers and dark brown eyes...gave Coop a salute when I picked up...these birds are Noble!..the little ones too...got a little clip of the Yellow-rump Warbler that Coop deigned to notice...walked over to Swinging Bridge...the snow is soft but firm enough to walk on well..and got to Last Chance for late lunch....then got new batteries and another 1g card...I might just save this card I was using!...and went back out in the fading light..Coop flew by and landed in an Owl Woods Cedar...the setting sunlight faded just as I framed a long pic...can use it for painting!...all the reds and orange colors....went to Owl Log and watched the sunset on Half Dome....Ouzel was there...I keep hearing one Flciker!...but never see the Illusive Bird!...at evening I was hearing a Golden Mantle chirp at sunset..but haven't for awhile...but tonight I heard the Golden Mantle Squirrell's(Chicaree) call again...went to Sentinel and caught the bus to Siberia for dinner...and talked of the Hawks!...I dont know where the Deer are...and no critter tracks at Creek's End...lots of people tracks all over...eveyone having a good time in the snow!

No comments: