Thursday, February 26, 2009

Chapel Cottonwood Owl




At Lower Falls, after Breakfast, I thought to go left to Sunnyside and the Rocky Slope....with a hope to see Bobcat...but remembered my Owl hope from yesterday...so went right...at the Creek Footbridge, I heard Ouzel singing beautifully....the one song bird of the Sierra, I've read....and thought to get clip..though I have several!!....'but Owl'...I reminded myself!...and continued to Chapel Bridge...checking the gear, I noted I'd forgotten the binocs...'that can't help'....anyway...I slogged through the snow out in Chapel Meadow...without much hope insomuch it was sunny bright blue and warm!...surely Owl would find some shady forest nook!....and then I saw a patch of bark high on a tall Cottonwood that didn't look Cottonowoodish!....the sun was right in my eyes...and a long distance...so I took a pic with 12x....and shaded the lcd screen to see what it was I was seeing....the screen is really hard to see in bright sunlight...."are those feathers?....oh...that is Owl!"....grainy pic is the one I took...I gave the Tree a wide berth....didn't want to wake Owl...and set up the didgi...and got some clips...the one I post up is typical....except for the small disturbance to Owl's sleep!....kindofa bookend clip to Sleepy Owl!....I got some wonderful pics with the 12x and the new camera...the didgi clips not so good...I just couldn't see the screen too well to focus for the didgi clips...the second pic is with the didgi 3x....I hesitate to post up the new camera pics as they give away Owl's location!....it looks to be a permanent perching spot for Owl....and my How to Find Owl books says one shouldn't disturb such Trees...leave Owl be...and I think that sound advice!...Owls may have been perching in the Tree for generations!...time to time, of course, I'll check for Owl with the binocs...I check all the 'perch' trees where I've seen Hawk and Owl and Heron and Flicker....oh...I too found another active Acorn Woodpecker Hole high up in an Oak...which makes three I know of now....I'd like to see them raise their young this Spring...I'm having a very hard time finding nests...though I always keep a lookout for them....

checking Canon's new cameras coming out, I notice they have a 3x coming that does HD video...and a 12x that does...and the 20x I mentioned...I'm content with the video resolution I'm getting now....it's okay for small computer screens...and is easy to mpeg for the web....but friends with big HD tvs are asking for copies of the Bears playing, and I'm having to explain the clips might not show up too good on large screens...actually, I know they dont, as my nephew has a theater like screen that comes down from the ceiling!...on that, Two Top Pine Meadow Deer looked pretty grainy...but we were sitting pretty close!...way too big a screen for a living room!!...oh...the whole video thing is becoming problematic!...not too mention the long lenses!....but those new cameras look to be wonders of the age!

oh...and here's a link I just found...about UC Merced fellowship...a summer in Wawona....http://ecomail.blogspot.com/2009/02/ecomail-snri-scientific-visualization.html

dont know but I'm unqualified with my superaltively unscientific observation!!

No comments: