Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Running Deer




Paddled over to the Post Office...then out the Road to the A. Rooms...and a bit past the Church Bowl...on the Path near the Rocky Slope (was looking to see if I could see where the Slide was!), I heard a tiny pecking noise in a young Cedar...oh!...it was the Black Barred Woodpecker!...I'd gotten a blurry pic a week or so ago...thought to post it up...but thought too to wait and maybe see it again...and there the little Nuttall's Woodpecker was!...pics and clips...for sometime...Nuttall's was the post for today!...until the Running Deer...and I'll fill in how I got to Creek's End for that!...at the A. Rooms...after the Nuttall's Woodpecker...I found the little Trail that goes along the Rocky Slop under the Royal Arches...usually hereabout I take the dirt road to the Bridges...but this is a neat Trail!...a small stream is crossing it now where the Water Fall over the Arches is...and I followed the Trail to where it meets the Bike Path at the Backpacker's Camp...pic of Blue Jays....(so busy with the Deer, two cameras didn't get downloaded tonight!)...I made the same loop I did in the first transit..trying to complete yesterday's....almost to Mirror Lake and then return....at the Stables I shuttled back to the Village...and walked out to the Road by Cook's East End...actually straight out to the Road from Stop 9...route I often take....and I thought to go into Sleepy Owl Woods...found Grey Squirrel eating....I have like five clips of Grey Squirrel eating from just the last two days!...I was kneeling on the ground with the Tripod legs retracted sighting the minididgi...what can I say...the Squirrels are fun...and along come Mama Doe and Two Fawns pronging!....bouncebounce through the leaves...tried for clip...a little luck...picked up and followed over to the Oak Grove and Lower Falls stop...they settled down...and I lost them back up in Lower Falls Woods...was hungry and made it to Last Chance for late lunch...afterwards, I happened on what again I thought was Mama and Two across the Road...but actually there were seven Deer...all Does and Fawns...they went out through Owl Woods to Creek's End with me in tow!...pics and clips...I sighted them at the Creek and was using the 12x from the Diversion Channel....pretty far away!...but I thought it cool that they were by the Creek...then they started to cross the Creek...more cool!...and then they started gamboling!...oh!!...I wished I was closer!..did get the clip where they go up the bank...picked up then to move closer...and while carrying everything, many of them came back down the bank...all on the run!...bouncebounce!....by now I'm all thumbs...did the best I could..working with Squirrels yesterday helped!....and knowing the layout of the Creek helped too...they would run out Lodgpole Point...then come back...then disappear again...I finally reached the Creek...set up and waited...and waited...of course they all moved up the Creek!...runrun, bouncebounce...I edged along the Creek to about the Great Turf...and set up..and got sortofa good clip...they're always tiny in the clips!...but I think one's imagination can still 'see' them okay!!...I put one of the up and down the bank clips at the end...it made a good ending!!...if I had been able to move closer..sooner!..the best bits I didn't get...they crossed back over the Creek at the Swath....I knew where they were going...the little clearing with the Cement Block...headed that way, a fellow employee..a bit lost!...from Brazil and back from hike to Upper Falls!...popped out of the Woods...was looking for a shortcut to Siberia!...we walked out to the Road, can't get across the Creek here, I explained....and he spotted the Deer first...just as he pointed, I, distracted, stepped in fresh Bear plop by the Fig Tree!....he asked about the Deer, and was curious about my critter pics..."You have lots Deer photographs?"...a few...out front of the Cabin, I pointed up the Road and how to walk to Siberia...kid was one of rare few who prefer to walk, rather than catch the Shuttle!...it was another balmy warm blueblue Day....after dropping off the gear at the Cabin, I saw the Shuttle pull up, and bouncebounced down the Road my own self to catch it!!...reviewed the pics and clips over pizza at the Loft...a fine evening...and some genuine Creek gold!!...oh...saw first Robin in awhile, pic, high in an Oak Grove Oak..making a repeating singular peep peep peep!

No comments: