Saturday, February 14, 2009

Snow Oak Bear






After Breakfast, I headed through the Backyard to the Creek...with all the gear!...though I neglected to clean the 12x telephoto of water spots from yesterday...regretably!...Bear track was going through the Backyard to the Creek...but looked to be from last night....as a little snow fell and filled in prints...but!...when I got to the Creek at the Swath...there was a very fresh track...headed out to Creek's End...I went kinda slow!...and came upon a young Buck carcass; skin, a few bones, and head and antlers, just a bit away from the Cedar Tree Bear had been under yesterday...I thought maybe there was a carcass then, because of the Ravens...and they were about when I came upon it today...but not Bear...I passed by into the little clearing just before Heron Point..seeing the Track going into Owl Woods by the Cattail Pond...and glimpsed Bear...pic...from way behind I followed the track...these woods are thick...and Bear was heading toward the Bike Path...two cross country skiers came from the right...and pointed ahead to where they saw Bear go....I left off the tripod. and got the new camera ready...and worked around to the Diversion Channel clearing...and waited...and not for long...Bear came out of the woods, glimpsed me, and started up the Oak....but came right back down..see clip...and trotted off towards Ozone Beach....having gotten a couple pics and clip, I was content, and went back for the tripod...showed the pic to the skiers!!....there were quite a few tourists about...here and there..some snowshoeing..skiing...making snow men...it wasn't worth it to follow Bear's snow track....best to let Bear figure out how to find some peace and quiet!...hemmed in by the River and Tourists and Rooms, I'm not sure where that could have been!...I went over to Ozone Beach to look about...told a few tourists Bear was over 'thereabouts'....showed the pic again!!....and the Mallards were out for a paddle and bottoms up!...pic...and didgi clip...


Today's walk was even more compact than yesterday!...I was back again at the Cabin with more time on the clock!...

If not for the NPS rules, I would have gatherd the Antlers for a souvenir...as it is, I dont know if the carcass being where it is, is the best thing...it's on the Path that, while it gets seldom used, 'cept by me!, does see enough traffic that its problematic hikers will come up on Bear feeding on the Deer!...I think...I dont know!...it's the Natural thing for it to be there....but it can have the same effect in the tourist environs of food or trash left in the open....anyway...I'll go check it again tomorrow...and maybe find a Ranger for guidance...

My thought when I got back and looked at the Bear pic is that the Branch ruins it...it's soft too...but that's the new camera long lens...it just doesn't like the haze light...why I wish the 12x teleconvertor hadn't been waterspotted!....oh...but in the pic the Branch leads the eye in a way...and gives a kinda tension...pics have tensions...balance....they interplay...oh... I wish the branch wasn't there!...will make a painting or pastel without it!!

"Bear" of Man Against Wild is on...Snake River...dont know but he showed how to cross Creek's End...a sturdy pole to pole vault across!!...oh!...he's going up the gully!!

Sunny with hazy clouds...cool...a bit more snow fell...weather report has it a lot more is on the way!!...the Deer was likely the same one of two days ago, and dragged from Lower Falls..

No comments: