Friday, February 13, 2009

Snow Bears







I was on the Shuttle at Lower Falls, coming back from the Post Office, and Coyote crossed in front...clip...and I could see Coyote was headed for the Backyard...so when the Shuttle finished its roundabout to arrive at Last Chance, I hopped off...and sure enough, on the snow covered dirt road to the Tiki Temples, there was a fresh Coyote track....I followed it out to the Creek...Coyote took the same route I do!...and at the Diversion Channel near Heron Point...well...here's an excerpt from email to my sister describing the rest!...
"Last few days have had snow fall...it was falling this morning, and I found a Coyote track, fresh, in the backyard...I followed it to Creek's End (I have names for everything!)...and it went under a Cedar....the snow is falling a lot, and I peeked under the tree...and, crash!, Bear stirred up and climbed the tree!!...I had the S5 along and tried to take a clip...thinking, well, knowing!, I was too close, I backed up a ways, and waited, snow falling heavy all the while...and right behind me I hear a couple grumpy growls, and another Bear scrambled up the Cedar right behind me!....a bit disconcerted, I found another spot to sit....kneel...I'm getting snow covered, and wondering how I'm going to recover my mail that I dropped!....I'd just come back from the Post Office with no thought, or preparation, for critter hunting, but I'd found the fresh Coyote track....I waited, and tried to get pics and clips through the snow, and finally Bear 6, (has a red tag), came down, wandered down near the Merced, and glimpsing me, climbed another Cedar...this time I got some clips, the first Bear, no tag, came out too...I must have like ten minutes of clips of Snow Bears!....6 got comfortable with me just sitting and watching, and kinda rolled about and played in the snow...the other Bear stayed under the tree, and I think had something to eat there...couldn't tell! Work time came, and I had to leave, but got some nice clips...pics were hard to get as so much snow falling and low light."
I should have stayed another twenty minutes!...when I got to the Cabin there was still time on the clock...but I was getting cold and finger tip numb...though when I'm photographing I dont notice!...it's when I pickup that I begin again noticing this and that, cold fingers and such...
But a fine walk!...especially considering I was on my way to the Cabin to just deal with the dishevelment (clean house)...and take a nap!....it was snowing wonderfully!!...tomorrow I'll go see what the Bears had that was interesting to the Ravens!....while all this, three Mallards paddled by on the Merced, quacking...pic...and after some editing, I'll post up Bear Red Tag 6 rolling about in the snow!

No comments: