Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Bitten Marsh Hawk





Gathered all the gear well before Sunup, and lay back on the bunk to wait a bit for Breakfast time at Last Chance, and..fell asleep...woke around ten thirty, still time for eggs and such, and, after Breakfast, hopped in Silver and rolled down the Hill...thought was to either go to Twenty Hill Hollow, if I could find it, or Merced Wildlife Refuge...passing through Catheys Valley, didn't see Road Signs expected, thought there was one to Snelling, so, kept going...stopped for lunch in Town....at the Refuge, thought to go straight to Bitten Marsh, but there were Birds all over, and lots of Water...would have stopped right away, but at the noise of Silver on the Gravel Road, the Waterfowl would all fly up, and move!....did make a couple stops for Hawks, first Hawk perched on Road Sign, then Hawk flew to Wires above...pics and clips for sometime...another Hawk in flight...pic...and still another Hawk flying, but no pics...the Road goes East to West in a large rectangle...with the late start, there wasn't much time, but I got there for the best Afternoon Sun's Setting Light, and West End Road looked the best place to be...there's even a Photo Blind in place thereabout--just big enough for two!, so a sign says...lots of direction signs, dos and donts...anyway, Bitten Marsh is pretty much at the South West Side, so I parked thereabout, and walked about....oh, sat awhile at first on the Platform next to the Picnic Bench...so many New Birds, Water Birds mostly, and too far away for good pics, but could see okay with binocs....thought to sit and make a start at learning which Birds were there, but wanted to walk, so made a small loop on the Road....there's a Tall Observation Platform out to the South a bit, but I couldn't find a way to it, and no water about near it, so began to return...this the same place I saw the Redshoulder Adult Hawk last visit, and coming around a turn in the Road, I sighted Hawk, silhouetted and back lit by the Setting Sun...some pics, and a digi clip...I was able to get close, and thought to take a chance and try to get to the other side of Hawk...I looked down, hoping the bill of my cap would hide me, and walked slow, and made it!...when I turned and saw Hawk in good light, I realized my luck was because Hawk was Redshoulder, Juvenile, Cedar's cousin!...Cedar often stays still while I'm right below....twice I saw Hawk dive to the ground...clips...and Tree to Tree to Tree to Tree to Tree to Tree, six times I think, in an area no larger than the Backyard, or a Basketball Court!...Trees were Cottonwoods and Willows...was happy to find one Hawk, one Bird, just, to photograph...so many Birds about was overwhelming...left off...Sun too low to light up Hawk's Feathers and Amber Eyes, and rolled off trying to the beat the Gate, which closes automatically a half hour past Sunset, I think, and not to delay taking more pics...did take the Sunset pic up....and I have pics of the Many Brids, and clips..faraways and blurries, but okay, and for sometime soon...a really nice afternoon...stopped in Town for some canvases, and rolled back up the Hill!....sunny blue blue, though the horizon was silver hazy when I first reached the Refuge, and it must have rained a little as Road wet in spots on return....report of Hawk from climbing friend while on the Wall near Washington's Column...Bishop's something?...friend says to make 'chk chk chk' sound, and Hawk will come about...a long day!...

No comments: