Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Varied Thrush




Before Breakfast, heard Flicker by the Three Dogwoods...gathered the tripod, and Robins were about, and Flicker way high on a Pine...Robins too high too, but One Robin, I thought, was collecting Dogwood Seeds lower down, and I focused the newer camera, and was surprised to see, not Robin, but New Bird I have been trying to get a pic of for the last two weeks or so!...New Bird is Male Varied Thrush...it's same Bird as on the cover of Sibley's Field Guide...didn't have to thumb the pages doing id this time!...very cool bird...far away pics and clips...clips for sometime with the other Dogwood clips....tomorrow might be the last day for Dogwood pics...Storm coming Friday, reporters say!...make an all out effort tomorrow....left off when Birds left the Dogwoods, and to Breakfast...Shuttled to the Village, and paddled back along the Road through the Oak Grove...tried for Little Bird pics near the Cabin...Mixed Flock on a Young Broadleaf Maple--Nuthatch, Kinglet, Mountain Chickadee....napped a bit before work....sunny blue blue warm...at Lunch: started a tiny pastel drawing, which is an impossibility, but I have a set of pastel pencils I haven't ever tried before..so curious how small and detailed I can make a pastel with them...oh...wait..I just realized I was using three color conte sticks...well, I think I have some conte pencils somewhere too...I'll try them!

2 comments:

Jeannette said...

Your photo of these thrush and their bushy domain are "picture postcard - autumnal greeting" perfect. Hope you are enjoying the shift in the weather.
Visited King's Canyon briefly last weekend and saw the gullies had a bit of snow.

Unknown said...

That thrush is beautiful! I don't think i have ever seen one of those.