Sunday, November 14, 2010

Sugar Pine Bat





750 youTube clip

After Breakfast, thought to roll over to the Village for mail, but forgot to turn the alarm off on Silver when I put the key in the door...panicked a bit, and closed the door--alarm shut off--and out in the Woods I heard answer from Hawk, Redshoulder, calling...left Silver for later, and paddled out to the Woods...calls took me back to the Creek, and back to the Backyard, where I lost Hawk's calls, but found Pileated and Flicker calling in the Three Dogwoods...tried for clips...farfar away...Pileated flew off along the Path to the Shaded Dogwood...where I found Flicker too...farfar away clip of Flicker...Pileated was moving from Pine to Pine...followed back to the Diversion Channel...farfar away clip of Pileated high in a Cottonwood...and clip too of Second Pileated high in a Snag....went Tree to Tree, but finally lost both Pileateds, and returned to the Backyard...Three Dogwoods quiet....thought to figure out how to disarm the alarm...once it is armed by an intrusion, it stays armed until one does a couple tricky things, which I've forgotten how to do!!...needed to free my hands, so took the gear to the Cabin...distracted a bit, I went back to Silver with just the car keys...opened the door, and tried to keep my head with all the racket, but couldn't find one of the tricky things--retreated, ears ringing, closed the door, and regrouped...thankfully the alarms shut off..sheesh...then much chagrined to realize I'd left the Cabin keys in Cabin...hmmph...retrieved Cabin keys with the trick for that, and took a deep breath, and, lay back on the bunk and read some Basho until worktime...Robins were in the Dogwoods too, and I missed pic of the New Bird again, which looks to be maybe a Male Williamson's Sapsucker...will try again tomorrow....and Silver will take some study!...Bat pic up is from Critter Count Day...to continue: circled around Bobcat Meadow after Coyote pic...Woodpecker Tree quiet (on return later Phoebe was thereabout)....walk to Village was quiet...picked up lunch...tuna, crangrape...and along Rocky Slope to Backpackers' Camp...my pic notes tell me I saw DownyOrHariy Woodpecker on this stretch...heard Nuthatch and Raven at Camp...contiunued to the Pony Path, to Happy Isles, to Fen, to Stoneman Meadow, to the Dogwoods before A. Meadow...had hoped to find Robins in the Dogwoods the Path meanders through...but quiet...the whole stretch quiet....Little Birds when I reached the Day Use Parking Stop...tried for pics...looked to be Mountain Chickadees....oh!!!!...I forgot Bat...I stopped at Sugar Pine Bridge, and looked and looked for Ouzel...and One Bat was fluttering overhead...blurry pic...but a real find!..it was about two in the afternoon!!...through the Village to Bobcat Meadow, and sat awhile on the Long Fallen Ponderosa, with my back to the Meadow, looking into Artist's Grove, and determined to see Brown Creeper!....just One Creeper finally showed up...ate Lunch...wanted to reach Owl Woods at Dusk, but while passing Phoebe, pic, on the Woodpecker Tree, glimpsed Big Wings by Chapel Bridge...had just heard Hawk call, Redshoulder, across the Meadow in the Oak Grove...went out on Chapel Bridge to looksee, but no luck....but luck of another sort...walking along the South Shore upriver was a fully geared up fly fisherman...didn't give much thought to fisherman, as friend leading photog tour was nearing the Bridge...pic...then I looked back upriver...fisherman had waded out, and with one cast had hooked a large Trout!....I took some pics, which are cool as the light was wonderful, then thought to do a clip--fisherman was playing Trout, so as not to break the line, or hurt Trout...and this went on for like five to ten minutes...it's a cool clip, with a cheer from all when Trout was netted...thought to leave a message for fisherman I had clip, but it was Owl time!...so picked up, and circled around Lower Falls all the way back to Creek's End, and found a seat at Blue Heron Point (Owls Log has a puddle under it)...and waitedwaited...and along came the fisherman again!...from the South Shore fisherman waded out into the Merced, then up the Creek, and cast into the slow water under the Two Leaning Cedars...pics...and I wrote my email on a piece of paper, walked out the Shingle, and let fisherman know there was a clip."I dont want to intrude on a fine memory, but I have a clip!"...and now fisherman has the clips and pics too to go with the memory...in trade I'll have a flyfishing lesson this Spring!....anyway, I excused myself to go look for Owl...heard Owl, Sentinel, from the Diversion Channel...pic I've posted...but clip was too dark, until tonight I figured out how to edit the exposure...see clip...it has some other dark clips reworked too...Sentinel flew off towards Duck Harbor...I followed....way too dark for pics, but saw Sentinel perched again on the Ponderosa at the RipRap....from there, Sentinel flew across the Creek towards the Merced...I followed, stood awhile in the Creek Bed, listening, and that's how the Long Critter Count Day came to a close...a fine day!!....sunny blueblue cool today...at Lunch: worked on the third Alder Owl, still more to do...

No comments: